Flatbed Effect list request.

Will.

31 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

Completely the reverse: for all its faults, a scrolling (or dropdown) list is the most space efficient.

LOL! WTF? 😂😂😂

😨 How is it that more effecient: When the evidence here clearly shows that a flatbed is more effecient than single scrolling column. 

In fact: You're absolutely correct. Scrolling would be better IF IT WAS POSSIBLE, but it's click at the moment. 

Absolutely no logic in what you've said. (With the most repect) Sorry. 

344485300_FLStudio.thumb.jpg.b2902c34782c55bc8e824eae2c4e66c2.jpg1036978991_PT12.thumb.jpg.d6c3a9e05934dfec8f58541d666c78cd.jpg

Edited by Will_Kaydo

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Maybe its just me, but I find looking for something specific in a box with 400 - 800 (or more) items arranged in multiple columns is not nearly as efficient as the current single column, searchable, hierarchically organized Browser.  For the benefit of those that prefer a flatbox box / sprawling list I can see having an optional button that would expand the Browser into a huge box that can easily open and close--so it doesn't block everything else.

With all respect: How is not having access to all you EQ's on one page, not quicker and having Instant access / over clicking 200 times to get to your favorite EQ at the bottom. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

4 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Completely the reverse: for all its faults, a scrolling (or dropdown) list is the most space efficient.

Scrolling with multi column is the most efficient one I think. When you are selecting an item from the list, only space you need is belongs to the list.

Edited by murat k.
  • Like 1

I could be wrong, but I think different people have different preferences, workflows, etc.  For me this includes personal efficiencies

• One person might have great visual discrimination abilities that make it easy to spot a specific word or set of words in a field of 200-800 phrases. Another person might be overwhelmed by anything more than 20-50 items in a display.
  • One person might have great manual dexterity with the scroll wheel but have difficulties moving a mouse around a large area. Another person might find moving a mouse around to find and click on specific target areas repeatedly physically enjoyable and emotionally satisfying.
  • One person might work best with a plug-in browser that in all workspaces is in the same place and roughly the same size but not do well with huge multi-column lists that cover up the visual field. Someone else might find it personally efficient based on her or his dexterity, visual acuity, etc. to have multi-column lists open and close.

I don't doubt that some of you have different personal efficiencies, preferences, workflows, etc. than mine, but  feel it is going too far to claim that your personal efficiencies are universal.

• Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I could be wrong, but I think different people have different preferences, workflows, etc.  For me this includes personal efficiencies

• One person might have great visual discrimination abilities that make it easy to spot a specific word or set of words in a field of 200-800 phrases. Another person might be overwhelmed by anything more than 20-50 items in a display.
  • One person might have great manual dexterity with the scroll wheel but have difficulties moving a mouse around a large area. Another person might find moving a mouse around to find and click on specific target areas repeatedly physically enjoyable and emotionally satisfying.
  • One person might work best with a plug-in browser that in all workspaces is in the same place and roughly the same size but not do well with huge multi-column lists that cover up the visual field. Someone else might find it personally efficient based on her or his dexterity, visual acuity, etc. to have multi-column lists open and close.

I don't doubt that some of you have different personal efficiencies, preferences, workflows, etc. than mine, but  feel it is going too far to claim that your personal efficiencies are universal.

What im actually saying is, on bigger monitors a single column list might be ideal as it projects more information to the user. However, on smaller monitors those that works on laptops without a dedicated monitor - (Personally) a multi-column list will suit the workflow much better. 

The guy at the time I was collaborating with on a project when this topic popped up, actually brought the idea to front. 

His word: Can't developers of every DAW think to add this as an option to cater for every workflow out there? 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

On 3/19/2021 at 11:02 AM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I don't like the double sized Inspector and wish I could put it back the way it used to be.

If what you're referring to is how Inspector shows both the selected track and its output bus, did you know that you can click on the right edge and shrink it down to just the track's strip? It only resizes if you have none of the tabs selected. If you select a tab, say Properties, it will show both strips, but in the default view, it's back down to just one.

4 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Ditto! I'm with you. And my goal is to have fewer compressors that I know well than dozens to choose from.

On 3/22/2021 at 9:58 PM, Starship Krupa said:

If what you're referring to is how Inspector shows both the selected track and its output bus, did you know that you can click on the right edge and shrink it down to just the track's strip? It only resizes if you have none of the tabs selected. If you select a tab, say Properties, it will show both strips, but in the default view, it's back down to just one.

I know put it pops back out again all the while  - You can't have it permanently skinny like it used to be

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 1

+1 on the multi column menu. I too don't want anything on the screen that it's not Inspector or tracks so never have browser or anything up. I use the per-manufacturer layout as I know what I want (just like I do with my outboard) but certain manufacturers (UAD, I'm looking at you but you're not alone) add everthying even if I have not or never will purchase it and it's pain in the bottom with a long list. I'm in the insert panel, I want to insert something so a menu is great.

At least the current menu allows to use keys to jump to the effect first letter which eases the annoyance a little, but unfortunately all the UAD plugins start with.. U :D

Edited by Cristiano Sadun
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Browser is way quicker if you have a lot of plugins

What we need to keep in mind is: Your likes differ from everyone elses. I don't like the browser open neither the inspector - period!

You might have a bigger monitor than mine / OR / more than one, so my real-estate might not be as spaciousas yours. I definitely hate dragging thing in to a strip on the console. This less windows I have open - the more access I have to ram and cpu. 

I'm one that prefer on hand access to stuff as this speeds up production - like the much appreciated "T" SHORTCUT ("In place access") anywhere in my workflow to my TOOLS menu - Hence: why a flatbed effect list would be ideal in my workflow. 

I can go on forever why a list as such will benefit my workflow, but I think I've said enough. TO CATER FOR EVERYONES NEEDS IS IMPORTANT. 

4 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

What we need to keep in mind is: Your likes differ from everyone elses. I don't like the browser open neither the inspector - period!

Stating Facts.  It's quicker.  One keypress (b) to open / close the browser and for instruments you can double click and not drag to insert them.

If I had to use the old menu I doubt I could be arsed to use my Zynaptique plugins . Jesus.

5 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

You might have a bigger monitor than mine / OR / more than one, so my real-estate might not be as spacious as yours. I definitely hate dragging thing in to a strip on the console. This less windows I have open - the more access I have to ram and cpu. 

Nothing crazy.  2 x 24" - only about £100 each these days

I doubt there's any  CPU Ram implications of having the browser open, it's probably open in the background anyway even if you've hidden it....I mean you can even float the smegging thing wherever you want and use the B shortcut to bring it up.

7 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Stating Facts.  It's quicker.  One keypress (b) to open / close the browser and for instruments you can double click and not drag to insert them.

If I had to use the old menu I doubt I could be arsed to use my Zynaptique plugins . Jesus.

Stating Facts is: When you just right and click on what you want. Not extra steps included. 

• John locked this topic