Is there any chance that Cakewalk will shut down?

Aloe Duke

On 3/19/2021 at 9:11 PM, Bapu said:

I never really warmed to the prochannel. Can't say why. Just preferred the fx bin.

I've always thought that they should have been the same thing . A PC that you could drag any fx you like into it. Like how you can in Ozone.

• Great Idea 1

I fully understand a lot of the underlying negative connotations this thread is harbouring, but … 

Remember how Roland's acquisition of Twelve Tone spawned a plethora of 'prophet-of-doom' commentators who saw the move as little more than Mr Hendershott 'selling out' to the big boys. Overall, we may not all have agreed with the direction Roland took Cakewalk, but surely it can be seen in retrospect that the resultant investment helped streamline and improve the product range?

Even though nobody could argue that the nay-sayers got it absolutely spot on with their pessimistic comments regarding Gibson taking over at the helm, their procurement did at least keep the brand alive - for a while anyway.

Putting all this into perspective, look at where we are now with the good folk at Bandlab running things. We still get to use SONAR (now known as Cakewalk ) in pretty much the same form as always (since X1, at least), plus the software is not only maintained, it's being updated and improved along the way.

The fact that it's now free is neither here nor there, although as per another thread that asks the question, I'm certain a good proportion of us would contribute financially if required (regardless of the fact that some of us already had paid for a 'lifetime' of updates as that agreement was with an entity that no longer exists).

In conclusion, questions about the long-term viability of any product will always be asked. But let's be honest, answers from 'outsiders' can only ever be based at best  in educated speculation.

Unless they're about Gibson, of course.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

I fully understand a lot of the underlying negative connotations this thread is harbouring, but … 

Remember how Roland's acquisition of Twelve Tone spawned a plethora of 'prophet-of-doom' commentators who saw the move as little more than Mr Hendershott 'selling out' to the big boys. Overall, we may not all have agreed with the direction Roland took Cakewalk, but surely it can be seen in retrospect that the resultant investment helped streamline and improve the product range?

Even though nobody could argue that the nay-sayers got it absolutely spot on with their pessimistic comments regarding Gibson taking over at the helm, their procurement did at least keep the brand alive - for a while anyway.

Putting all this into perspective, look at where we are now with the good folk at Bandlab running things. We still get to use SONAR (now known as Cakewalk ) in pretty much the same form as always (since X1, at least), plus the software is not only maintained, it's being updated and improved along the way.

The fact that it's now free is neither here nor there, although as per another thread that asks the question, I'm certain a good proportion of us would contribute financially if required (regardless of the fact that some of us already had paid for a 'lifetime' of updates as that agreement was with an entity that no longer exists).

In conclusion, questions about the long-term viability of any product will always be asked. But let's be honest, answers from 'outsiders' can only ever be based at best  in educated speculation.

Progress endlessly necessitates inferior support.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

So that's a maybe then?

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

I always wonder if Meng takes the time to read these threads;  he brought the company and has provided the funds to make the product way more stable and better for us folks.  My only downer is that I know as the head of multiple companies I wish he would pop and converse or at least a blog every few months :D  

It would be nice to have an idea where he wants to take CbB in the future.  

Anyway thanks Meng for keeping this great software alive and giving us this Forum for us to have these silly conversations.

11 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I always wonder if Meng takes the time to read these threads;

Given the size of his piggy bank, I'd be very disappointed in him indeed if he didn't always have something better to do than visit the CH.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

8 minutes ago, paulo said:

Given the size of his piggy bank, I'd be very disappointed in him indeed if he didn't always have something better to do than visit the CH.

You make a valid point.

So how about  a blog a few times a year Meng.   I know the chance of the big man actually reading a post in the Coffee House are slim to none :)   

13 minutes ago, paulo said:

Agreed. Let Noel et. al. be the face and spokespersons for CbB. The business model is already in place and has not changed all these years on.

2 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Agreed. Let Noel et. al. be the face and spokespersons for CbB. The business model is already in place and has not changed all these years on.

I was thinking more along the lines of being on his super yacht wearing diamond-studded, platinum flip flops and very expensive shades, surrounded by the kind of ladies that even S.L.I.P. dare not dream about, but yeah that too.

If you must.

10 minutes ago, paulo said:

I was thinking more along the lines of being on his super yacht wearing diamond-studded, platinum flip flops and very expensive shades, surrounded by the kind of ladies that even S.L.I.P. dare not dream about, but yeah that too.

If you must.

Me think you have been watching too much TV  😆