Is there any chance that Cakewalk will shut down?

Aloe Duke

5 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Well, that will depend on how profitable the DAW is into making people make use of the other Bandlab products IMO. Companies don't do software as a "labor of love" after all.

True.  But with the shut-down one of the choir members is a music school teacher and used another Web-based program to have choir members record simple pieces and she put it together.   So I guess I was thinking out loud on how Bandlab could of also been used here between us musicians and the choir. I can't remember what she used but the school has an account so we were able to do limited stuff for free.  

1 hour ago, Canopus said:

I don’t think this question needs to be asked yet again as nothing really has officially changed since the first announcement made by the current owner Kuok Meng Ru more than three years ago, but in case you want to see for yourself you can look at the first official statement:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-By-BandLab-is-here-Free-Available-for-Windows-now-Updated-Dec-11-2018-m3743935.aspx

So won't close? 

14 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

True.  But with the shut-down one of the choir members is a music school teacher and used another Web-based program to have choir members record simple pieces and she put it together.   So I guess I was thinking out loud on how Bandlab could of also been used here between us musicians and the choir. I can't remember what she used but the school has an account so we were able to do limited stuff for free.  

Sure. There's still some marketing going on in that regard. You start using Cakewalk, then you go into that thing when Bandlab "comes to you" and goes "By the way, did you know we also have a place where you can master your stuff for free and host your music. We also have sample packs too!"

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Those that don't use Cakewalk clearly have some things to learn about the best audio deal on the market.

Some that don't use Cakewalk are on Mac. Not an option for them. But they have access to Apple Garage Band for free, Logic Pro for cheap, plus all the other cross-platform softwares on the deals forum. 🤪

1 minute ago, Aloe Duke said:

I don't want what I love to close

All things being equal, CbB (aka Cakewalk by BandLab) was previously known as Cakewalk SONAR Platinum which was around for over 20 years. When Meng acquired the Cakewalk assets he chose to make it free and it's highly unlikely he would ever close it (in yours or my lifetime).

However, nothing is certain and those who love Reaper or Studio One or Cubase or any other DAW, could ask the same question and the answer is the same.

Anything is possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

5 minutes ago, Bapu said:

All things being equal, CbB (aka Cakewalk by BandLab) was previously known as Cakewalk SONAR Platinum which was around for over 20 years. When Meng acquired the Cakewalk assets he chose to make it free and it's highly unlikely he would ever close it (in yours or my lifetime).

However, nothing is certain and those who love Reaper or Studio One or Cubase or any other DAW, could ask the same question and the answer is the same.

Anything is possible.

Spoken like a true gentleman!

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

Anything is possible.

It's unlikely. Good! 

4 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Really I think the payoff will be when there is the tie-in with Bandlab and it is  seemless :)

In a few months we shall see :)   

That's exactly what I fear! More and more online hoax, so that the professional DAW gets lost! ☹️

7 minutes ago, marled said:

That's exactly what I fear! More and more online hoax, so that the professional DAW gets lost! ☹️

I don't think it will get lost. Those that want to use the online part will be able to. At least that is what I hope/pray will happen.   I'm coming from a place where more then half of the choir is retire folk and not tech savvy. So it was an interesting time having them record their part(s) at home. The lady that did most of the work was awesome but she had to pull stuff into her DAW and no it wasn't CbB :(