Is there any chance that Cakewalk will shut down?

Aloe Duke

24 minutes ago, paulo said:

So did I, but the way I look at it is that so far, that's exactly what I'm getting.

Yep that is my approach to. What I don't understand is why they let the prochannel die and not capitalize on them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

What I don't understand is why they let the prochannel die and not capitalize on them. 

I never really warmed to the prochannel. Can't say why. Just preferred the fx bin.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Not such a great deal considering I paid for a lifetime.

As did I, but we also got extras other Cakewalk users didn't.  IMO, we have't been lied to on that front.....yet.

4 hours ago, abacab said:

Some that don't use Cakewalk are on Mac. Not an option for them. But they have access to Apple Garage Band for free, Logic Pro for cheap, plus all the other cross-platform softwares on the deals forum. 🤪

There are ways to run it on a Mac, but lets be honestly anyone that buys a MAC also isn't a real deal connoisseur.

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

but lets be honestly anyone that buys a MAC also isn't a real deal connoisseur.

Just FYI, but a regular on this deals forum uses a Mac, and goes by the name @Fleer ... so you might want to keep the Mac bashing to a minimum here. 🙄

He's actually quite a connoisseur. And a character, LOL!!!

• Haha 1

I have from the start of the BandLab era been vocal on this topic. Not going to jump in with anything that's already been said.

A thing about this that continues to baffle me is why people seem to think that a bunch of random users on a public forum would be able to answer this. We're not privy to any insider information.

Any software company can go out of business. Steinberg, Presonus, MAGIX, Cockos, Tracktion (has done at least once), Acoustica, all of them. When companies go out of business, they sell off their assets. In the case of software companies, their intellectual property (software code base, patents, trademarks) gets liquidated.

This is how Cakewalk got to its current favorable status. If BandLab should decide to tank the whole Cakewalk experiment, they will likely liquidate the IP and it will live on.

Not such a great deal considering I paid for a lifetime.

While I feel the pain; who likes to pay for something that shows up a week later as the Pluginboutique freebie of the month? Happened with me a few times. I paid for Ozone Essentials, which today seems crazy, it's being given away left and right. If I had waited 30 days, the $20 I spent on BYOME would have dropped to free with my vouchers. It's all in the game. I got to mess with BYOME for a month, which is a lot of value. And the guys at Unfiltered deserve some of my hard-earned for making such a great bit of software. They deserve more than $20, actually.

My take on it, as someone who coughed up for a SONAR license about 20 years ago and then started back up in the BandLab era is that (y)our license fee(s) weren't thrown away, they went to keep the company afloat long enough to survive to be picked up by another company (who is of course delivering on updates in a big way). Also, your copy of SONAR Platinum came with other software that I'd love to have but that money literally can't buy. Now we can collaborate in native format with anyone with an internet connection and a Windows system. I'd say that there are worse deals.

• Like 6
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Aloe Duke said:

Won't it close as a result?

I think I may have misunderstood the original question. To get Cakewalk to shut down, click on the "X" in the upper right corner, just like other Windows programs. Alternately, go to the File menu, and all the way down at the bottom, Exit. Select that and Cakewalk will close.

If you wish to know whether it has continuity, set your DMM to the lowest resistance setting and lightly touch the probes to the surface of your monitor. If the readout goes to zero, or within a couple of ohms, it has continuity. If the readout doesn't change, there is no continuity. This shouldn't be an issue because digital audio workstations are poor conductors anyway. The best you can hope for is a built-in metronome.

• Haha 3