USB 2.0 vs 3.0 audio interface

RexRed

3 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

USB-2/USB-3 audio interfaces can't get much below ~4ms total round-trip latency.

Thunderbolt audio interfaces can get down below 1ms total round-trip latency.

Think of Thunderbolt as "external PCIe".

The Pesonus Quantum looks like a pretty good buy. It's about half the price of my trusty MOTU 828 mkII from close to 2 decades ago. I've never owned a Presonus interface, so I can't speak to the performance or quality.

33 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

The Pesonus Quantum looks like a pretty good buy. It's about half the price of my trusty MOTU 828 mkII from close to 2 decades ago. I've never owned a Presonus interface, so I can't speak to the performance or quality.

Quantum is a great audio interface.

When it comes to round-trip latency, Quantum is an exceptional performer (can achieve sub 1ms).

Obviously the machine has to be able to keep up with the load... or you'll hear glitches.

Part of the reason why Quantum can achieve such low round-trip latency is there's no onboard DSP.

IOW, Quantum doesn't offer hardware based monitoring/mixing/routing/loop-back-recording.

All routing/mixing has to be done via software (in your DAW application).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

When it comes to round-trip latency, Quantum is an exceptional performer (can achieve sub 1ms).

Obviously the machine has to be able to keep up with the load... or you'll hear glitches.

Part of the reason why Quantum can achieve such low round-trip latency is there's no onboard DSP.

IOW, Quantum doesn't offer hardware based monitoring/mixing/routing/loop-back-recording.

Yeah, I've always wanted an interface with onboard DSP but never had one. Neither my MOTU 828II or Focusrite 1st gen Scarelett 18i8 have it.

8 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I've been eyeing the Quantum for a little while -- I'm building a new studio, and want to upgrade my gear across the board, and the Quantum 26X32 looks like a nice option. I am 100% in-the-box, and do orchestral stuff exclusively, so its all-VST-instruments-all-the-time. The low latency of the Quantum is very appealing.

I wish the Quantum 26X32 was offered in TB3. It is has a lot more features (and slightly better specs) than the Quantum 2626, but I dislike the idea of buying a $1400 interface that right out of the box has an outdated interface and needs an adapter. 

Edited by Amicus717

5 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

I wish the Quantum 26X32 was offered in TB3. It is has a lot more features (and slightly better specs) than the Quantum 2626, but I dislike the idea of buying a $1400 interface that right out of the box has an outdated interface and needs an adapter. 

FWIW, You'll see *zero* performance difference using an original Quantum 26x32 (Thunderbolt-2) vs. the newer Quantum 2626 (Thunderbolt-3).

The Apple Thunderbolt-3 to Thunderbolt-2 adapter ($50) works perfectly.

If the original Quantum is a better feature match, I wouldn't give the Thunderbolt-2 connection a second thought.

I still have an original Quantum... along with a RME UFX+.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

I've been eyeing the Quantum for a little while -- I'm building a new studio, and want to upgrade my gear across the board, and the Quantum 26X32 looks like a nice option. I am 100% in-the-box, and do orchestral stuff exclusively, so its all-VST-instruments-all-the-time. The low latency of the Quantum is very appealing.

Why do you need 26x32 when you're working with all-VST-instruments-all-the-time? Wouldn't a smaller desktop interface would serve you better?

6 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

Why do you need 26x32 when you're working with all-VST-instruments-all-the-time? Wouldn't a smaller desktop interface would serve you better?

I don't know of any other interface that has the low latency of the Quantums. The only thing that would match it would be a PCIe card, I'd guess, and the only high-end PCIe cards I'm aware of that might be able to match the Quantum's sound and latency figures would be the either one of the Lynx cards, or the new RME AIO Pro. But at this point I can find no reviews or demonstrations of the RME card, and so I have no idea how good it is. I know the Lynx cards have a great reputation for sound quality, but I have no idea what their latency is like. Both the Lynx and the AIO Pro cards cost about the same as the Quantum 2632, so if I can get awesome low latency performance, great converters, a few decent preamps (I do record with a mic, every now and then), and the ability to control monitor levels, etc directly on the interface, well that would be great. 

I actually would prefer the Quantum 2, which was smaller and with less in-and-outs but otherwise the exact same specs as the 26x32. However, they no longer make it. 

Edited by Amicus717

17 minutes ago, Amicus717 said:

I don't know of any other interface that has the low latency of the Quantums. The only thing that would match it would be a PCIe card, I'd guess, and the only high-end PCIe cards I'm aware of that might be able to match the Quantum's sound and latency figures would be the either one of the Lynx cards, or the new RME AIO Pro. But at this point I can find no reviews or demonstrations of the RME card, and so I have no idea how good it is. I know the Lynx cards have a great reputation for sound quality, but I have no idea what their latency is like. Both the Lynx and the AIO Pro cards cost about the same as the Quantum 2632, so if I can get awesome low latency performance, great converters, a few decent preamps (I do record with a mic, every now and then), and the ability to control monitor levels, etc directly on the interface, well that would be great. 

I actually would prefer the Quantum 2, which was smaller and with less in-and-outs but otherwise the exact same specs as the 26x32. However, they no longer make it.

Yes, I understand. I was thinking that you could find a less expensive version with less I/O if you don't really need 26x26 I/O. But that's not the case, at least at Sweetwater. The only TB3 interface less expensive than the Quantum is the UA Apollo Solo with 2x4 I/O.  All others are more expensive.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

Yes, I understand. I was thinking that you could find a less expensive version with less I/O if you don't really need 26x26 I/O. But that's not the case, at least at Sweetwater. The only TB3 interface less expensive than the Quantum is the UA Apollo Solo with 2x4 I/O.  All others are more expensive.

Yeah, and while I understand the Apollos are pretty awesome in lots of ways, I don't think their latency is nearly as good when you're not using their plugins. 

• Thanks 1