Recording MIDI to audio track fails: "Unable to open audio record device"

RobertWS

I'm on Windows 10 and using Coolsoft's  VirtualMidiSynth.

I enabled the sound card's Stereo Mix as a recording input:

WindowsSetting.png.bb3e2a8f3f56285e2de55fcbf5ab1173.png

And used it as an input to an Audio track:

CakeWalkSetting.png.a9181f04b6e6f2cb9b3310f30a592f8c.png

However, when I go try to record, I get this message:

ErrorMessage.png.f9f3b658e7c49a29fe5fb84e3bdb366c.png

Am I missing something or is this simply not possible?

Thanks.

<Later...EDIT>

I found the solution.  I set the hardware device to have 192,000 Hz in shared mode:

Answer.png.6da1bfdb1c02b23873a3bf1331ef5670.png

Edited by RobertWS
Trying to remove double images

First off your images do not show.  Did you use the image tool in the lower left corner?

Secondly. I looked up this Coolsoft app and there is not reason you would need to use it. Your just making things overly complicated.  Cakewalk includes a much better selection of VST instruments including the GM TTS-1. 

Follow through my tutorial on using the MIDI and the TTS-1    http://www.cactusmusic.ca/sonar-tutorials

The logic is that it was the best setting available and it worked.

1793183648_ScreenHunter70.png.a71211ac88ac786d94c89667ed61783c.png

I did a bit of research on sampling rate and bit depth...supposedly raising either one improves sound but I couldn't find which had the greater impact.

I comp Cactus in this. 192 kHz sampling rate is an overkill  and  just waste of HDD/SSD space, especially in 16 bits.

Do you have a special reason to use the Coolsoft Virtual, and recording MIDI directly to audio (as I understood you're doing)?

You are making things unnecessarily complicated , IMO.

"Do you have a special reason to use the Coolsoft Virtual,"

I like being able to load sound fonts and I love being able to convert MIDI to MP3 in a few seconds rather than playing the whole song (I'm strictly MIDI at this time, no acoustic tracks).  Since I'm doing just MIDI and MP3...there is no wasted storage space.

"You are making things unnecessarily complicated , IMO."

It doesn't seem complicated.  I did find this screen and it actually changes the windows settings:

86158822_ScreenHunter71.png.a95796c3221e9f821c700f0b7c81dfba.png

Wait....what the hell, now there are more options in the Windows setting!

1439662154_ScreenHunter72.png.b990d6e4274d239600b73d10cb192012.png

That is baffling.

Edited by RobertWS

Ok. What serves you, serves you. No problem with that. If Soundfonts are what you want to use, then I guess  that's a fluent way. I just compared your method with the normal soft synth procedure. Not many use Soundfonts anymore, AFAIK.

By the way, bouncing or freezing a MIDI track to audio does not require "playing" the whole song in real time, though I guess there are soft synths that don't like fast bounce.

The OP is 15- 18 years behind the times, that's OK I drive a 18 year old Subaru. It still gets me there. But to the OP, You really need to bone up on using sample based VST's many which are free and a lot come included with CbB. Sound fonts are just soooo 2001.