mark skinner

Here's one I'm trying to finish up and could use some help on. First time recording with my DY-77 Yairi , first time trying to use cb-1 headphones for mixing. I keep going back and forth between phones and monitors and no longer trust my ears. It's pretty minimal , drums/bass , 3 acoustic tracks and SI elec. piano thru arp. Thanks for the listen .    mark   

New link further down.   Sorry ..

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 2

Love the intro Mark...  get you hooked with the panning straight out of the gate.
Nice verb too.  Love your style of playing.

These are just my opinions and we all paint very different pictures.
Kick is a little to "flat" or "dampended" -  I can hear the beater well.  Unless that is your intention for the style.
SI Electric could come up a little.
When it got nearer the end I was feeling a little unbalanced as there is a lot of panning going on.
My brain was trying to catch what was goin on but couldnt lock on  (analytical listening).

• Like 1

Thanks Gary , I Always respect and listen to your opinions. I'm also having a problem with the kick And the bass. I'm on it.  Except for the intro , the panning is constant , but the L/R rhythm guitar tracks are somewhat syncopated and may be causing a problem near the end. The lead guitar lives between the two. I'll look at it. Years ago I traded this guitar to my best friend for a cello. He recently passed away and willed it back to me. This is more than just another song to me ,  I really appreciate the help.   I'm open to any suggestions from any of the great forum members here.     Thanks ..   mark                 

Edited by mark skinner
  • Sad 1

That Mark is a pretty song! Sweeeet playing too - when I hear a guitarist like you I'm embarrassed to put my own playing up here.

From a mix perspective, I was a bit overwhelmed by some of  the acoustic in the intro, maybe you'd turned up the volume, but my ears told me it was a bit bassy.  

I think the snare could use a touch of a something to cut through the guitars and the bass drum could definitely use a boost because I'm not hearing it that well.

But that is being nitpicky in the extreme because this was a lovely song.

Tim

• Like 1

@timboalogo Thanks for the quick response.  I really like someone to get Picky! I just worked on the kick drum and piano  per Gary's  suggestions. It sounded a Lot better.  The intro bothered me as well after listening a few times thru. It seemed like a different guitar was doing the intro. I may have to automate an EQ for that part. Never done it before but I'll figure it out. As far as the snare , I'll do what I can .  I'll Never load up these SI drums again without having Full access to each drum. Something else to learn .   Thanks  ..   mark

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 4:07 PM, mark skinner said:

just worked on the kick drum and piano

Not sure which mix I'm listening to. The snare is a bit hot (IMHO). Kick still needs some work (definition).
Maybe a bit more "presence" on the bass.
Where's the piano?

Strong performances as always!

Please don't "hate" me; I'd lose the CB-1 cans for mixing.

I'll get me hat...

t

you know I love your work

• Like 1

Yes really well played and overall a good sound but will agree the snare is possibly the most out front which might be OK if the. Guitar came up to match it.  and yes there very little bass. I could hear the kick OK.   it's a nice squeaky clean sound that suits the style. 

• Like 1

Really nice remix, great playing and the mix sounds nice and balanced but for the bass and the kick which over here have similar overlapping frequencies at times so not easy to pick out one from the other. I'm not in a perfect room for sure, but that's my only suggestion about it. Enjoyed your song!

• Like 1

"Thanks" for the comments and your suggestions that I used. I've made quite a few changes and the top link now reflects them. The drums and bass had lots of problems. I Re EQ'd the intro guitar , kick and bass. Retuning the kick also helped with the separation. (thanks treesha) I also panned the guitars further away from center.  Tom , I've come to the conclusion I can't mix with headphones of any kind. Thank You ! to everyone. Unless something really stands out I'm calling this one done ...   mark

• Like 1

https://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/yairi

Drums are now down 2 db lower. I brought the bass down a little as well. I also brought the main mix up some before treating it with Ozone. That seemed to help with not having to compress the kick and lows (as much) to bring the level up.  Special thanks to Mrs. Deering.    Thanks ... mark 

• Like 1