Instrument Definition Files not changing Patch

Hey all,

I was working with a friend last night getting a Triton Rack set up that had previously been working in his old version of Sonar.  He is now on the current release of the BandLab version of Cakewalk.  When we loaded the ins file that had previously been working, the device would change banks correctly, but not respond to the patch change.  It would always stay on the first patch in the bank.  I had a Korg NX5R that had also previously worked.  I loaded the ins for it and had the same issue.  We believed further research would be necessary.  This morning I connected my Roland FA-06 and loaded an ins that had previously worked and it also has the same issue.  I have attempted to modify the file with a few different parameters to see if anything would work, but so far I have had no success.

I have attached a simple ins for the FA-06 that I have used successfully in the past.  I would love for some of you to put some more eyes on it to see what may be needed to be updated to make it work with the current version of Cakewalk.

It would also be great to know if anyone else is having any luck with patch changes on any of your older gear.  Is it perhaps a bug in the Cakewalk software?

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

FA-06_no_user_no_drums.ins

I can

18 hours ago, Bryant Walley said:

It would also be great to know if anyone else is having any luck with patch changes on any of your older gear.  Is it perhaps a bug in the Cakewalk software?

No issues with patch changes on older gear here.

I use an external SW1000XG card (circa 1999) which is basically a Yamaha MU100 on a card.  This is a 16 track multitimbral XG card that received standard MIDI data.

I use the SW1K ins file with this in the latest CbB (2021 Build 98), which allows me to select (and use) all the patches, controllers, NRPN, RPN paramters and drum kits on this card and they all work.  I have been using this same ins file for the last 18 years.

Now I do not know the Triton Rack, but I am wondering if you need to change the bank select method.  On mine, it's set to “normal”.  Also, for each of my 16 MIDI tracks, I have set their respective MIDI channels to match the track (rather than“none")

Thanks for the follow up.  It is just very strange that 4 different ins files for different instruments, using different types of midi connections, on two different computers worked for all these years and now they are all not working.  I will keep digging.  I has to be something really simple.

21 minutes ago, Bryant Walley said:

Thanks for the follow up.  It is just very strange that 4 different ins files for different instruments, using different types of midi connections, on two different computers worked for all these years and now they are all not working.  I will keep digging.  I has to be something really simple.

I did a little test using your INS file you sent.  I can confirm that patch change information is being sent from Cakewalk.  I used MIDI-OX on another PC to monitor MIDI data and patch change data was indeed being received on that PC as a result of it being sent from CbB.

Remember, an INS file does not actually do the sending of the MIDI data.  It just populates any drop downs with human readable names for various events.

I am starting to wonder if the issue is actual in the Korg Triton

1 minute ago, Promidi said:

I am starting to wonder if the issue is actual in the Korg Triton

as of today I have tested 4 different instruments.  An NX5R, an MP7, a Triton Rack, and the FA-06.  They are all doing the same thing.  When I select the device and bank and patch in Cakewalk, they all go to the correct bank but load the first patch in the bank.  It's almost like someone is playing a practical joke that is not funny.  I do appreciate you testing the file and following up with me.

2 hours ago, Bryant Walley said:

as of today I have tested 4 different instruments.  An NX5R, an MP7, a Triton Rack, and the FA-06.  They are all doing the same thing.  When I select the device and bank and patch in Cakewalk, they all go to the correct bank but load the first patch in the bank.  It's almost like someone is playing a practical joke that is not funny.  I do appreciate you testing the file and following up with me.

Maybe drop a note Cakewalk support at https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

• Thanks 1

I downloaded the Midi Ox software mentioned above.  I was able to load the INS file for the FA-06 into it.  The Midi Ox software sent the correct information to the FA-06, so I know the INS files are correct.  I was also able to route a Novation LaunchKey37 through Midi Ox to the FA-06 and change the patches correctly from the LaunchKey.  I am certain there is something in Cakewalk that has changed being it is the only part of the equation that does not work as expected.

Promidi - If you see this, could you attach the INS file that you have that is still working?  I would love to see if there is something different in the formatting of the data that has allowed yours to continue to work. 

Found the problem.

Preferences -> Midi -> Playback and Recording

Change driver mode to MME and the old INS file for the FA-06 and MP-7 now work. 

I believe there is an issue with the way Cakewalk has implemented the UWP option.  I have reported it to Cakewalk support.

Edited by Bryant Walley
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryant Walley said:

Found the problem.

Preferences -> Midi -> Playback and Recording

Change driver mode to MME and the old INS file for the FA-06 and MP-7 now work. 

I believe there is an issue with the way Cakewalk has implemented the UWP option.  I have reported it to Cakewalk support.

I should have mentioned that MME is the mode that I use as well.  Way back, I also tried UWP and found that my 1999 MIDI sound module didn't like it.  I quickly reverted back to MME. I have been using MME as long as UWP has been offered and have never had any issues.

As mentioned, some older devices just don’t play nice with UWP.

Glad you sorted the issue.