Why does CW lose focus?

jkoseattle

Question

This isn't a biggie, but I'm curious. I leave my computer on most of the time. I'll simply save and get up and walk away from my CW project come bedtime. When I come back to it next time, CW is NEVER the application with focus. I always mistakenly sit down, don the headphones, and hit the Spacebar, only then realizing I have to focus CW before I can do that. What's really weird is that in the Windows toolbar, CW shows as the currently active application. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this is. Why does Windows think CW has focus, but CW does not?

8 answers to this question

9 hours ago, jkoseattle said:

This isn't a biggie, but I'm curious. I leave my computer on most of the time. I'll simply save and get up and walk away from my CW project come bedtime. When I come back to it next time, CW is NEVER the application with focus. I always mistakenly sit down, don the headphones, and hit the Spacebar, only then realizing I have to focus CW before I can do that. What's really weird is that in the Windows toolbar, CW shows as the currently active application. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this is. Why does Windows think CW has focus, but CW does not?

πŸ˜† This is so true. In fact I never thought to even question this - now that I'm thinking about it. Yes, I always have to bring it to focus after my system gone in to sleep mode. With my other daw, as soon as I press that spacebar - it plays music.Β 

A window or control that has the focus is what is going to respond to key-presses.

Open a few apps so you can see them on the task bar. The running apps are underlines. The one that is shaded has the focus. If you type on the keyboard the key presses will go to that app.

That is why you need to click in a textbox before you type a username or password or whatever. To give it the focus, so what you type goes there and not into the email you were writing. You know it has the focus because it has a flashing insertion point.

So if Cakewalk has the focus, pressing the space-bar starts and stops play. If Microsoft Word has the focus, pressing the space-bar inserts spaces.

Edited by Nigel Mackay

14 hours ago, jkoseattle said:

This isn't a biggie, but I'm curious. I leave my computer on most of the time. I'll simply save and get up and walk away from my CW project come bedtime. When I come back to it next time, CW is NEVER the application with focus.

I am curious to see if I have this issue. How long do you need to wait until CbB loses focus? I just tried 10 minutes and evidently not long enough.

47 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I am curious to see if I have this issue. How long do you need to wait until CbB loses focus? I just tried 10 minutes and evidently not long enough.

Give or take 30 mins after it goes into sleep mode. After 30mins your computer deletes aΒ temp file that keeps the memory, but this should keep the DAW in focus though.Β