Weird Kontakt 6 issue

I have a brand new computer running Cakewalk and full version of Kontakt 6. It is installed in the right folders and Cakewalk finds is just fine on startup. So when I add a SoftSynth track and choose Kontakt and click to open it, I get the NI screen where all the libraries are pictured on the left hand side of the GUI. Then I select the folder for say, Noire, and I get the generic Windows screen where you select the file path to the instrument and then it opens another NI screen with that  Noire interface. NOW, I can play the “patch” and it sounds great but is NOT sending either midi or audio into the DAW. It’s literally a stand-alone version of Kontakt, opened from within Cakewalk. Really weird and  I have verified that the same thing happens in Mixcraft as well.  I have checked and rechecked routing in the DAW and in Kontakt but no luck.

Probably a stupid question but when I close Cakewalk after this Kontakt is still open with its own tab and I can continue to play it normally. Doesn't this have to mean that it's a stand alone version and NOT a plug-in?  Super weird and I hope that I am missing something simple because I need to get tracking ASAP!

Thanks in advance for any insights!  I have opened a tech support correspondence with Native Instruments as well.

Alan 

The standalone version is an exe file. Cakewalk won't see it as a VST.

To load Kontakt, open the Browser, look for Kontakt and drag it to the track pane. Then check.

Also, in Utilities, Cakewalk Plug-In Manager, in the left pane click on VST Instruments (VSTi) and in the right pane look for Kontakt and click on it. At the bottom the File name should end in Kontakt.dll.

I will check on this when I get to the studio this morning. I do recall that I have loaded Kontakt both ways you have described and it has multiple entries/listings of the word Kontakt that all look the same. Also, is it normal when I close out Cakewalk for the Kontakt windows to all stay up and for it to still transmit midi/audio of the sample that is loaded?  My recollection when I last was using Sonar and Kontakt 2 was that when you closed out your DAW, all windows/plugins closed with it.  Thanks for any insight, I appreciate your time!

With me it closes. That is why I made those suggestions.

Reading it, you are opening the standalone version.  This is what you should see:

Open Browser, select Instruments, drag and drop Kontakt to tracks pane.
588636629_2021-03-1714_31_50-Cakewalk-UntitledProject1-Track.jpg.4d9cafc6b62df23860e423334b407da4.jpg

Select First Synth Audio Output (for the moment.)
1143911427_2021-03-1714_33_06-Cakewalk-UntitledProject1-Track.jpg.98e8ccb83e8e19ae5b1774d530c23a62.jpg

You now have:
877847020_2021-03-1714_34_14-Cakewalk-UntitledProject1_-Track.jpg.7d8079f8d925430c8048e432f64c9d15.jpg

Click on the icon just to the right of 1. You see this:
1500133198_2021-03-1714_35_33-Kontakt1-UntitledProject1.thumb.jpg.60568dad089bda87d745d91c84887e49.jpg

Pick the library you want to use. Just below the pretty picture is the word Instruments.
Click on it and navigate to the exact sound you want.
Double-click and it appears in the right hand pane.

Then I suggest you go to the Tutorials section and start watching videos.
Search for Cakewalk Kontakt  and also Cakewalk Mixcraft. Enjoy. 😀