Advice on new midi keyboard/controller purchase

If it supports any Windows based DAW, it supports Cakewalk.  Cakewalk is the oldest code in the Windows DAW world, its more likely than not that the midi key controller designer started out testing in some iteration and version of Cakewalk over the last 20 yrs.  If there is a conflict between the DAW and the controller, its usually always the drivers for the controller or user error.  But Ive had 100% connection rate to all kinds of weird knockoff controllers that people bring in to record with so I would be  surprised if you actually came into problems .  Its usually the really complicated and complex mega keystations that make all the fuss when connected to “unlisted” DAWs (Brand signaling)

If you are going with a controller that big there is really no reason to not go with the M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61.  Price, features, great keys.  If I had the desk space it would be a done deal.  I had to settle for the Novation LaunchKey 37.  Its decent and fits on the desk, but if I had the room I would have the M-Audio.

As far as MIDI keyboard playing notes, just about any one will work with CbB.

But for new out-of-the-box controller support with CbB, that ain't happening. There will always be some necessary user setup required, involving manual reading and fiddling with MIDI CC control parameters.

There might be some brands that can be setup more easily than others as transport controllers, but I'll leave that to others who have experience with new models. Been a while since I setup an old Roland A-300PRO controller that was made for Sonar, and apparently still works with the Cakewalk ACT control in CbB. For reference that was the A-PRO series. But I'm not aware of any other manufacturer that made an out-of-the-box compatible keyboard controller for Cakewalk since then.

I have the Novation Launchkey 61 Mk II and wrote an azslow preset for it which i uploaded to the site. It was good value for me and with the preset handles a number of cakewalk functions in addition to the standard transport. The nine faders do volume, solo and mute for the 8 channels in focus plus the master. With the "Incontrol" buttons off it works as normal midi mode i.e. drum pads. With "Incontrol" on it has the pad buttons as shown below ("Mode" switches between tracks and busses);

955815771_Incontrolkeys.png.46b8b019d38f24aa3cb5a213dcc41cef.png

The thing to consider is do you want weighted keys and do you think you need aftertouch? Both of these bump the price up (the Launchkey has neither but then I am not a keyboard player).