My new Post-Rock song Mastered, Suggestion needed!

Marcello

Hi there!

I need an opinion from someone who's quite a pro in mastering.

I have recorded and mixed this song with Cakewalk and used LANDR (AI Automatic Mastering tool) to master it.

For who doesn't know LANDR you upload your song and AI does the mastering instantly for you, you can upload a reference track also it will apply the same mastering sound.

I have two different types of masters here, the first is the Landr standard one, the second I used a reference track from Mogwai album to make it sound similar.

What's the best in your opinion? 

Any other suggestions are welcomes especially about dynamics. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Td2uUkeB5Ag3Q2C-IAFkoF0AdbaEl3I/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lpJwg_Nd4z3ZWopLYt5ZyiRW8BAPtGY4/view?usp=sharing

PS: In my opinion the first one is wider, in the sense that the instruments are more panned left and right, you can really hear the difference with headphones when you switch to the second song everything is more centered.

I have heard a lot of times that 100% panning LCR  is the most used and suggested my mixing engineers, to make to sound wide,

at the same time I'm not sure, it seems to me that the second one sounds much better, the first one is more clear and you can better define each instruments because everything sounds more separate of course because everything is more panned, but still the second one is more powerful and mashed together, doesn't sound like is all separate.

I'm not sure which is the best way to go.

4 minutes ago, jack c. said:

good recording job.less reverb i would use especially on guitar.nice song.jack c.

Thanks Jack! On distorted guitars there's no reverb at all, just on the clean parts I wanted to give it a dreamy sound.

To my ancient ears listening on Sennheiser HD-600 headphones, the references mix is cleaner (less muddy especially when the full band comes in).

By cleaner I mean all the instruments have more definition.

• Like 1