Control DAW using SL Mixface

amajor

Question

Hi all,

Anyone able to give me some help setting up my Studiologic Mixface controller with DAW please. I have it working the faders nice and smoothly for volume but when I try to configure the pan rotary knobs using Learn they just jump around 100%right,100% left ,2% etc.etc. i.e. not smooth or in the right relevant positions

Not sure if I am doing something wrong in the setup. Any tips for configuring will be much appreciated.

Alan

13 answers to this question

You need to set it up in Cakewalk Preferences settings as a Control Surface. Under MIDI make sure that the your Mixface devices (SLMIX???)  are enabled for input and output, the go into control surfaces and click the + button. Set the mode a Mackie Control and your Midi inputs and outputs to be your SLMIXUSB devices. You should make sure your Mixface is set correctly in the DAW/CTRL section of GLOBAL EDIT settings. It should then have all the controls mapped automatically and there should be no reason to be doing "midi learn". As there is no specific option for Cakewalk in the mixface DAW/CTRL try out the various options available and you should find one that will work fine. The Ableton setting seems to use Mackie Control mode so I would start with that one.

Edited by NealClark

Hi,
I have midi input devices showing SLMIXUSB [3]  SLMIXUSB [4]  SLMIXUSB [5]
midi output SLMIXUSB [0] SLMIXUSB [1] SLMIXUSB [2]
control surface set to makie and have tried various permutations of the ports above.

set Mixface DAW config to various daw types but still only seem to get the faders to work properly nothing else.

Alan

I have been trying to figure this out as well and think I have it very close!

So the MIXFACE USB Port 3 is for DAW Transport and Fader Control
MIXFACE PORT 2 is for FIRMWARE updates
MIXFACE PORT 1 is for MIDI Control

I have my DAW Profile on the MIXFACE set to REAPER and select Mackie Universal in the Cakewalk Control Surface plugin

The faders and selection buttons (REC, MUTE, SOLO) seem to work.
The Markers are assigned to the In and Out Loop Points
The Loop Button does not seem to enable LOOPING
I am not sure what the SELECT button will do.

Also it seems that the MASTER FADER controls the first Main PHYSICAL audio output and not an inserted Master Bus, even though it might be assigned to the Main Outputs.

So far things are working.
You might need to check the Transport going back to NOW TIME Marker which you can toggle using CTRL +W

Next item on the agenda is setting up the MIDI Control side of things which I probably will use the Generic MIDI Control Surface setting similar to how I am currently using my nanoKONTROL.

I have just purchased the StudioLogic Mixface and am loving it so far! It's a nice size and the magnets hold it in place on my StudioLogic SL990-Pro keyboard.

I am using the stock "Mackie Control" control surface with input and output set to the "MIDIIN3 (SLMIXUSB)" and "MIDIOUT3 (SLMIXUSB)". In the "Mackie Control" settings dialog I have had to enable "Disable Handshake" (found out about this on azslow3's forum https://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=341.0) and "Select highlights track" (Simeon Amburgey - with this enabled pressing "select" on the controller selects the track being controlled in Cakewalk's "Inspector" window).

I am using DAW Profile on the MIXFACE set to "Studio One".

This is the only mode I found in which the "Previous Marker" and "Next Marker" worked correctly. The only buttons that do not work are the "Insert Marker" and "Loop On/Off". I have emailed StudioLogic support about this asking them to consider supporting CbB as a DAW.

I did try using AZ Controller to create a preset for the MixFace but couldn't get the pan rotary buttons working correctly. In controller mode they behave as regular linear controllers, but in DAW mode emulate the Mackie rotary encoders with incremental values. I suspect there is a way to do this in AZ Controller but I gave up after a couple of hours. I am sure azslow3 or BassMan would be able to work it out.

I already had another solution for the looping control, as I also use an Elgato Stream Deck (which is amazing and I would highly recommend getting one!!)

Over the years I have found it is impossible to get a single controller that does everything I need, so I now use four different ones depending on the context of what I am working on.

1. The original StudioMix (built by Peavey for Cakewalk) - the moving faders are still working after over 20 years! This is great for recording (with the jog and transport controls) and mixing tracks.

2. The classic Behringer BCR2000 (using AZ Controller and MarKo B10 preset ). This is the most comprehensive control surface for CbB. Thanks to azslow3 and Bassman! This is great for general control of Cakewalk,

3. The Elgato Stream Deck. This is truly amazing as I can program unlimited buttons with text and images and map to: a) control menu actions (like loop on/off) and b) use it to send "keyswitch" midi messages to NI Kontakt instruments. The ability to actually see the names/images displayed in the controller really helps productivity. If they added some faders and rotaries with the same lit up labels it would be a killer product.

4. and now the StudioLogic MixFace. What I was missing was fader controllers for strings and horns expressions in NI Kontakt as well as soft synth plugins. (Simeon Amburgey -for MIDI control of my VST plugins I am using the 4 different zones of the MixFace to control them directly. I did play around with Blue Cat's Remote Control to map the CC messages, but not convinced I really need this extra layer.

BTW I actually have a 5th controller, the Akai MPD18, which I hardly ever use as not a fan of using pads.

Hopefully, this info is useful to someone out there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Allan Paul said:

I have just purchased the StudioLogic Mixface and am loving it so far! It's a nice size and the magnets hold it in place on my StudioLogic SL990-Pro keyboard.

I am using the stock "Mackie Control" control surface with input and output set to the "MIDIIN3 (SLMIXUSB)" and "MIDIOUT3 (SLMIXUSB)". In the "Mackie Control" settings dialog I have had to enable "Disable Handshake" (found out about this on azslow3's forum https://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=341.0) and "Select highlights track" (Simeon Amburgey - with this enabled pressing "select" on the controller selects the track being controlled in Cakewalk's "Inspector" window).

I am using DAW Profile on the MIXFACE set to "Studio One".

This is the only mode I found in which the "Previous Marker" and "Next Marker" worked correctly. The only buttons that do not work are the "Insert Marker" and "Loop On/Off". I have emailed StudioLogic support about this asking them to consider supporting CbB as a DAW.

I did try using AZ Controller to create a preset for the MixFace but couldn't get the pan rotary buttons working correctly. In controller mode they behave as regular linear controllers, but in DAW mode emulate the Mackie rotary encoders with incremental values. I suspect there is a way to do this in AZ Controller but I gave up after a couple of hours. I am sure azslow3 or BassMan would be able to work it out.

I already had another solution for the looping control, as I also use an Elgato Stream Deck (which is amazing and I would highly recommend getting one!!)

Over the years I have found it is impossible to get a single controller that does everything I need, so I now use four different ones depending on the context of what I am working on.

1. The original StudioMix (built by Peavey for Cakewalk) - the moving faders are still working after over 20 years! This is great for recording (with the jog and transport controls) and mixing tracks.

2. The classic Behringer BCR2000 (using AZ Controller and MarKo B10 preset ). This is the most comprehensive control surface for CbB. Thanks to azslow3 and Bassman! This is great for general control of Cakewalk,

3. The Elgato Stream Deck. This is truly amazing as I can program unlimited buttons with text and images and map to: a) control menu actions (like loop on/off) and b) use it to send "keyswitch" midi messages to NI Kontakt instruments. The ability to actually see the names/images displayed in the controller really helps productivity. If they added some faders and rotaries with the same lit up labels it would be a killer product.

4. and now the StudioLogic MixFace. What I was missing was fader controllers for strings and horns expressions in NI Kontakt as well as soft synth plugins. (Simeon Amburgey -for MIDI control of my VST plugins I am using the 4 different zones of the MixFace to control them directly. I did play around with Blue Cat's Remote Control to map the CC messages, but not convinced I really need this extra layer.

BTW I actually have a 5th controller, the Akai MPD18, which I hardly ever use as not a fan of using pads.

Hopefully, this info is useful to someone out there.

Very cool, thanks for some additional info.

When looking at the Studiologic Site for DAW Compatibility, it basically boils down to this:

CUBASE/NUENDO - Mackie Control
CUBASIS - Mackie Control (BT MIDI)
ABLETON LIVE - MACKIE CONTROL
LOGIC PRO - Custom Control Surface Add On Plugin
GarageBand - Custom Control Surface Addon
PRO TOOLS - HUI
REAPER - Mackie Control Universal
Digital Performer - MACKIE CONTROL
REASON - Custom Add-On

So really only three choices:
MACKIE CONTROL - HUI - CUSTOM ADD ON

I was using the REAPER setting but you are right, selecting STUDIO ONE allows you to jump between Markers, while selecting REAPER does not.

I also found a way to allow the MASTER FADER to control my MASTER BUS instead of just the physical outputs.
Just drop down the MASTER FADER selector and choose your first BUS (Mine happens to be my MASTER).

2021-12-19_12-40-53.gif.9fb93495947dfc9fb9aae478786d7368.gif

To make things complete, there needs to be a fix for the INSERT MARKER, and LOOP On/Off, as that seems to be the only features that are not working as expected.

Thanks again, MIXFACE is a great control surface once you get used to how it is set up.

Joyfully,
Simeon

I just tried a test using Studio ONE 3 Pro regarding Adding markers and Looping.
Both of these procedures worked when in Studio ONE, so it looks like something needs to be addressed in the Cakewalk Mackie Control Plugin.

I just downloaded the latest version of Reaper and will see how it goes with inserting markers and looping.

35 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

I just tried a test using Studio ONE 3 Pro regarding Adding markers and Looping.
Both of these procedures worked when in Studio ONE, so it looks like something needs to be addressed in the Cakewalk Mackie Control Plugin.

I just downloaded the latest version of Reaper and will see how it goes with inserting markers and looping.

When Mackie first brought out the MCU, they asked all the major DAW companies at the time to provide button mappings.  Cakewalk provided Mackie with mappings for SONAR,  and Mackie shipped overlays for all the DAW's with the MCU.

The basic transport controls, faders and v-pots are standard across all the DAWs, but all of the other buttons vary between DAWs.

When other control surface manufacturers provided emulation for Mackie, they had different modes for each DAW in order to match each DAW's button layout. 

So unless they specifically mention they support Cakewalk/SONAR, they won't have the correct button mappings.  Furthermore, it's not just a matter of re-mapping within Cakewalk - the control surfaces themselves assume a particular state when a button is pressed ( this is due to these surfaces having far fewer buttons / controls than the original MCU ).

I'm unsure why some manufacturers have decided not to include Cakewalk/SONAR mappings, but they've obviously made a conscious decision not to include them.

I suggest contacting StudioLogic and ask why they don't have Cakewalk/SONAR mappings, and if they could add them.

• Thanks 1

Just now, msmcleod said:

When Mackie first brought out the MCU, they asked all the major DAW companies at the time to provide button mappings.  Cakewalk provided Mackie with mappings for SONAR,  and Mackie shipped overlays for all the DAW's with the MCU.

The basic transport controls, faders and v-pots are standard across all the DAWs, but all of the other buttons vary between DAWs.

When other control surface manufacturers provided emulation for Mackie, they had different modes for each DAW in order to match each DAW's button layout. 

So unless they specifically mention they support Cakewalk/SONAR, they won't have the correct button mappings.  Furthermore, it's not just a matter of re-mapping within Cakewalk - the control surfaces themselves assume a particular state when a button is pressed ( this is due to these surfaces having far fewer buttons / controls than the original MCU ).

I'm unsure why some manufacturers have decided not to include Cakewalk/SONAR mappings, but they've obviously made a conscious decision to to include them.

I suggest contacting StudioLogic and ask why they don't have Cakewalk/SONAR mappings, and if they could add them.

Thanks for that additional info.
It seems it would have made sense to just have a standard protocol but as you say I am finding it is all over the map using the different DAW profiles.
So would there be a way to get the Cakewalk Mackie Control Protocol to send to them?

I too shake my head at times as many just ignore Cakewalk as they were in this from the beginning.

All the best,
Simeon

5 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Thanks for that additional info.
It seems it would have made sense to just have a standard protocol but as you say I am finding it is all over the map using the different DAW profiles.
So would there be a way to get the Cakewalk Mackie Control Protocol to send to them?

I too shake my head at times as many just ignore Cakewalk as they were in this from the beginning.

All the best,
Simeon

They should already have received that info from Mackie when they got the SDK from them.

The button layout is as follows ( taken from https://www.loudtechnologies.eu/shop/data/articles/images/zoom/m_3375.jpg?version=Z24we9Yi  - Loud Technologies is the Mackie subsidiary that wrote the  control surface firmware ) 

m_3375.jpg?version=Z24we9Yi

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for the additional info.
I will see what I can do on my end.

I also tried using the HUI (Pro Tools) profile on the MIXFACE and I am wondering if it might be a similar implementation issue with different DAWs approaching certain aspects a little differently.

I mean, things are working 98% using the Studio ONE MCU profile, so that is something to be thankful for ;^) 

Joyfully,
Simeon

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I sent them a follow up email, and interested as to what their response might be, I hope it will be positive.
With over 3 million users, I would say Cakewalk by Bandlab is a world class DAW and continues to be even more so with the excellent work all of you have been putting into it, the dedication is second to none.

Joyfully!