Michael Fogarty

DP88 hook up -help

Yes, hi. I would like to try hooking up my DP88 (a gift).  Beautiful hardware. I had the original Digimax and then the one they came out with after that after that about 15 years  back. Heavy hardware, very clean pre-amps, but as changes come, we parted ways. I always liked their pre-amps and it is what came my way so kept smiling and making music.

I used to hook up them up  through their analog ins and outs into my MOTU analog ins - no pipes this time Danny Boy. Just felt good and I hate crackles and latency issues.  But alas, the DP88 doesn't have analog outs. So, I am destined to try to get it to be happy with a blue light. I have either an RME Babyface or a MOTU Ultralite MKIV to plug it into. They both are supposed to happy with these blue lights. I have the light cables.  I don't really understand word clock or if its needed. I am a player first, and dabble in computers and electronics. Emphasis on dabble. I am happy to grasp what I can.   Has anyone tried it or own one, or knows someone that owns one? Are there going to be latency issues or rice crispies?  I saw a tutorial on YouTube how to do it, but it was a guy hooking up a live performance with two of them in tandem and I got lost. Basically I want to know what to look out for and the basic hook-up. It  doesn't have to be a DP88.  Any ADAT unit that you have had success at low latencies through Cakewalk. Do I use sympte? (that was a joke really. I know a little bit.)

Also, on a side note,  If anybody happens  to use a Studio 192  (gifted)  I would be very curious if you ever got it to work? I love the sound again, but it has proven latency issues with any DAW that isn't Studio One. I had to purchase other interfaces for that reason. I am a keyboard player and the majority of my productions, unless I am collaborating, are composed with large library VST's like Omnisphere, NI, Ravenscroft, Scarbee's. So latency is life when I am tracking.  I found out through my trial and error and many other chaps and gals online that that its a hardware flaw and it can't be fixed.  But does it work for you? I am forever loaning it to a kid down the street that only records acoustically so he is a happy camper. It is a pretty pricey unit and sounds great- great DSP and eq. and you don't have to be online to use like my MOTU unit (is there a way around that? Oops - another thread.) Ok, hope you have a good weekend. It's Sunday night here in Japan and I am off tomorrow. Appreciate you all.

PS - I would be happy with a YouTube link -but it has to be dumbed down. Sorry.

Hi Michael,

Lightpipe carries embedded word-clock.

When connecting two pieces of gear (digitally), they both need to be running from the same clock-source.

If each are running on separate clocks, you'll hear small pops/ticks when the digital audio streams are merged.

You'll have to choose either the Audio Interface... or the DP88 as the word-clock "Master".

Have the other device (word-clock "Slave") look to its lightpipe input for word-clock.

(The word-clock "Slave" must have lightpipe routed to its lightpipe input... and that's where it'll look for word-clock sync.)

I use an Arturia Audio Fuse 8 Pre (connected via lightpipe) to provide more analog I/O for a Fireface UFX+.

In my case, I have the Audio Fuse 8 Pre look to its lightpipe input (word-clock "Slave")

The UFX+ (which is the word-clock "Master") is sending lightpipe (embedded word-clock) to the Audio Fuse 8 Pre.

If I change sample-rates in the RME Fireface UFX+, the Audio Fuse 8 Pre automatically follows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I use an Arturia Audio Fuse 8 Pre (connected via lightpipe) to provide more analog I/O for a Fireface UFX+.

In my case, I have the Audio Fuse 8 Pre look to its lightpipe input (word-clock "Slave")

The UFX+ (which is the word-clock "Master") is sending lightpipe (embedded word-clock) to the Audio Fuse 8 Pre.

If I change sample-rates in the RME Fireface UFX+, the Audio Fuse 8 Pre automatically follows.

thank you Jim.