Sound Forge Pro 15.0 is now out

Jim Hurley

Sound Forge Pro 15 is now out.

I just installed it, upgrading from version 14. The upgrade is probably not too important unless you work on AudioBooks and things like that, but it seems to be well-behaved so far.

You may want to use the  /NOVSTGROVEL flag when you open it to bypass VST scans, as per:

https://www.magix.info/us/support/article/bypassing-of-the-vst-scan--1511/

novstgrovel.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Hey why do you guys use an audio editor like this instead of just a DAW? Just curious.

Power and quality of edition ... i can edit a click at a sample level in soudforge , recreate the audio based on interplation of audio surrounding and move on ....saved my ***** several time of crappy samples ....

• Like 1

@RSMcGuitar I bumped this thread of interest -

If you follow this procedure you can add an external editor function to your UTILITIES menu inside CW. You could do so with Soundforge or with the very good free audio editor called AUDACITY. 

Once added to the UTILITIES menu you can select an audio track in your project .. go to the UTILITIES Menu, click on the new audio editor menu item and it will open that tracks audio file inside your audio editor for editing

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jim Hurley said:

One more thing, it is easy to forget about the RegionFlag setting for RX8 when you use it in the Tools Menu:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Error-Message-with-iZotope-RX-3-as-WaveEditor-in-SONAR-X3-m3089217.aspx

regionflag-rx8.thumb.png.3d3488158770345da148d7aba2a9fda2.png

that thread and  Noel's replies in a similar thread resulted in my developing Tools Editor. 

sH2-404axOUmNPusdcqdJeAzd3Ch_gCgJERnPqO3

available on my Google page

a new version of it and the rest of the tools should be out soon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

or with the with the very good free audio editor called AUDACITY.

Are you sure about this?

I don't use AUDACITY but AFAIK it does not support passing wav files on the command line.

At least no one using AUDACITY has ever report successfully using a newer version of it as a WaveEditor in SONAR/CbB.

Without command line support, there is no convenient way to pass data between CbB and another program using the CbB WaveEditor feature.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, scook said:

Are you sure about this?

I don't use AUDACITY but AFAIK it does not support passing wav files on the command line.

At least no one using AUDACITY has ever report successfully using a newer version of it as a WaveEditor in SONAR/CbB.

Without command line support, there is no convenient way to pass data between CbB and another program using the CbB WaveEditor feature.

Sorry @scook  ... I made an assumption. But I wonder would it work in some way? Newer versions?

Audacity is a DAW.

DAWs are designed to work with projects containing multiple audio files so they are not setup to take a single wav file as an argument on their command line. Some DAWs have extensive audio editing features but they are intended to be called from inside the DAW,

Audio editors are designed to work with individual files. As a result, it it common for them to support adding a wav file to their command line.

There are plenty of no cost and low cost audio editors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Hey why do you guys use an audio editor like this instead of just a DAW? Just curious.

There are many reasons. I find waveform editing to be easier in a separate tool. Many sampler VSTs allow an external editor. Batch scripting. Region processing. Slicing.

• Like 1

Just now, Tony Carpenter said:

$299 to upgrade from Suite.. ouch, hard pass!!.

My upgrade price from 14 Pro was $99. I think that is a bit high for the new features, but not outrageous.

I probably won't be using the remote or the audiobooks export. The new actions processing needs to be better visualized, but it is a start.

I could have skipped this update, probably, and not missed much.

But I do like to support a tool that I use so much.

1 minute ago, Jim Hurley said:

My upgrade price from 14 Pro was $99. I think that is a bit high for the new features, but not outrageous.

I probably won't be using the remote or the audiobooks export. The new actions processing needs to be better visualized, but it is a start.

I could have skipped this update, probably, and not missed much.

But I do like to support a tool that I use so much.

I have version 13 that came with the suite.. guess I am at stand still until they get desperate again ;)>

1 hour ago, scook said:

Are you sure about this?

I don't use Audacity, but this post says it allows files on the command line:

https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=77335

Yeah, I recall that from when the first version of Tools Editor was developed.

IIRC, old versions of Audacity worked, newer versions (around the time of that post) did not.

Since that time no one has reported success using Audacity.

Just because no one has reported success is not the final word on the subject.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the tool I wrote.

The object of my exercise was to provide a better way to add entries to the tools section of the Utility menu.

SONAR/Cakewalk are launching the program  and passing the arguments.

I have yet to read about an audio editor failing to run properly when setup according the information provided by Cakewalk.

41 minutes ago, Jim Hurley said:

SF upgrades have always been expensive.

I was pleasantly surprised when Humble Bundle offered SF12 Pro for $20 (with a bunch of other stuff).

Eagerly awaiting their next SF Pro deal.

Most of what I used SF for is now handled by iZotope RX7 but still occasionally use SF.

• Like 1

I don't think there is anything in any version past 12 worth paying to upgrade to.  The VST3 and 64-bit was the last thing they added to this software that actually mattered.  Putting SFP12 on HB was one of the biggest marketing blunders they could have made.  They should have put SFP11 there, and then 13 would have been a far more attractive upgrade proposition.  I doubt many people upgraded off 12, who got it via that bundle.  There is practically no reason to do so.

For editing Audio, SFP is far better than iZotope RX7.  RX really is for Spectral Editing and Restoration (and for the plug-ins).  It's more comparable to SpectraLayers than it is to Sound Forge Pro.

Sound Forge needs a multi-track "Audio Montage" like Steinberg WaveLab and Acorn Acoustica.  Until it gets that, I don't think Ii'd ever prefer using it over something like Samplitude Pro X (which, in the Suite SKU, bundles it).  The Event Mode is not good enough.

Edited by Maestro