Chords over lyrics ?

sadicus

I was hoping Cbb could do this.
looking for a simple non subscription app for PC that will create chords over text.

F                Am                            C               
Chords over lyrics are a common way to write chord chart

haha, back in the day we used an app called ChoPro for this...I still have  a copy somewhere...I can get it to run in 10, but it crashes now way too often to be of use. If you are using 7 or 8 it may work and there may still be somewhere you can d/l it from. Not sure if any other software does it.

You could also use Ultimate Guitar (think you have to join -free afaik- to create charts though) and create a chart there using it's wizard. Works quite well. It produces that format for charts.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Edited by pax-eterna
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Cakewalk lyrics implementation is very basic and crude. I don’t think any one uses it successfully. I think it’s DOS. 

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can clarify my admittedly vague memory, but I thought Staff View came when the sequencer was ported to Windows as an addition to Note View (which later became the PRV).

image.png.66d61d0e465c36cbf50623fa1360f0fa.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bdickens said:

Libre Office.

Can you show an example of LibreOffice would be used for this purpose?
TuneSmith has a built in drag drop chord system and formatting that is almost good, but it's a bit clunky and dated looking and has other stuff I don't need. One thing TuneSmith does I learned is chord names can be put in brackets [Am] and it will show in the correct place above the word.
Anyone know what this formatting is called? It seams like this could be done with HTML.

T[Am]his is a song lyric wi[Emaj]th chord name placed above the w[G]ords

Am                                   Emaj                                                                   G
This is a song lyric with chord name placed above the words

@bdickens help or hinder, which will you choose?
Perhaps in your god-like omniscience you've calculated every reason imaginable as to why someone would want to do it that way.
...to anyone else interested, Chord images and Chord names drag and drop solution would also be helpful.

21 hours ago, sadicus said:

Anyone know what this formatting is called? It seams like this could be done with HTML.

I Googled "xml lyrics" and got several hits.  I am only slightly familiar with xml (reading files and making minor tweaks in them), but I am wondering if that's what you had in mind. I am totally unfamiliar with software that uses xml for music and lyrics, except for the examples I saw doing the search.

• Like 1

Hi, I've tried a few times do what OP intends, and I used Word to do thatbut it's a bit complex, as one should be familiar with paragraph spacing, etc. (I hope I'll try again next time!).

But recently I did chord notations on a song's lyrics with Photoshop Elements. One could print the lyrics to PDF, open it on Photoshop and write the chord names to taste (then he could copy and paste repeated chords to get a more standard result).

Edited by mgustavo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

It would be very cool to have the chords marked automatically in the CbB lyrics view using for  example markers as chord pointers. That way they would change automatically when the project is edited.

Of course you can do it in any word processing app, but it's not that fluent. It takes some time to get the routine.

• Great Idea 2