Program files vs Program files 86

Tony p

Question

So I installed 8 new plugin instruments today. Trying to be technically saavy I changed the default folder for vsts to Program files/steinberg/vst instead of program files (x86) since I noticed a lot of my plugins are there and I understand Program Files folder is meant for 64 bit. So I see all the new plugins but Cakewalk is reading about double the amount that I had before. Went from 200+ (which i always so as too high a true number anyway) to 400+.  Im worried that Im putting an extra strain on CPU/memory/etc. Should I continue to let plugins choose the location as before? Or should I choose 1 folder for everything?  Also I noticed I have a bunch of other .dll and text files in local disk which I'm pretty sure werent there before. (See attached picture)

Thank you

1323075872_directorypicture.jpg.e766c809aba70d22cb0b17fe972185fc.jpg

2 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Tony p said:

should I choose 1 folder for everything? 

You seem to be making a pickle! I would suggest you try and keep your filing system organised; the result is not less demand on the CPU etc. but rather less potential headaches due to not having to stumble around in a mess. I would not, and don't, let installers do their own thing since letting them do their own thing is a surefire way of adding disorganisation to your filing system. Some installers are better than others of course, but you don't know this until after you've clicked instal and then it's too late (e.g. look at your root folder).

For example, i have 2 main folders for plugins (Program Files\vst plugins and Program Files\Common Files\VST3) and inside those folders i have developer folders for their respective plugins. I got rid of all 32 bit plugins, but previously i had the same folders in the x86 folder also. This aids in organisation as things are in the same places.

I would delete all that extraneous stuff from your root folder. If the plugins don't work i'd delete them and reinstal with organisation in mind. If they're adamant about installing crap to your root folder i'd delete the plugin and write a complaint email to the developer.   

7 hours ago, ien said:

You seem to be making a pickle! I would suggest you try and keep your filing system organised; the result is not less demand on the CPU etc. but rather less potential headaches due to not having to stumble around in a mess. I would not, and don't, let installers do their own thing since letting them do their own thing is a surefire way of adding disorganisation to your filing system. Some installers are better than others of course, but you don't know this until after you've clicked instal and then it's too late (e.g. look at your root folder).

For example, i have 2 main folders for plugins (Program Files\vst plugins and Program Files\Common Files\VST3) and inside those folders i have developer folders for their respective plugins. I got rid of all 32 bit plugins, but previously i had the same folders in the x86 folder also. This aids in organisation as things are in the same places.

I would delete all that extraneous stuff from your root folder. If the plugins don't work i'd delete them and reinstal with organisation in mind. If they're adamant about installing crap to your root folder i'd delete the plugin and write a complaint email to the developer.   

Ien- Amazing post. Just what I was looking for. Thank you