Summertime/cover 2nd mix/master

Bert Guy

I remixed and remastered with the forum's crits in mind :https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14295527

I upgraded my DAW for Christmas (UA Apollo Twin/Sonar X3/Windows 7) and I thought I would do some covers to learn how it all worked. This is my first finished project and its a cover of what I think is one of the greatest American songs ever written.  

Any comments or crits about mixing. mastering, recording,sound processing etc, will be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Bert

Edited by Bert Guy
remix

On 3/11/2021 at 7:03 AM, jack c. said:

take off some snare highs.nice recording job.i don't like that song but ya did a nice version.check some of your notes on voice.jack c.

Yeah, the high hat in the 3rd verse is brutal. This an initial mix and I will redo it.

Thanks for listening, Jack

Cheers,

Bert

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 12:07 PM, daryl1968 said:

Cool stuff Bert. 

Snare is a tad sharp but I really like this arrangement

Thanks Daryl, I appreciate the feedback.  I was kind of playing around with the sound of the drums and they are kind of  sharp. 

Bert 

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/28/2021 at 2:33 AM, Makke said:

Nice version..  snare drum is too loud in my opinion.

I liked the guitar runs and sound on backing.

I am definitely going to repost a remix and address the drum issues, but I accidently hosed my DAW and its in the shop.now. Apparently you can't get parts in a timely fashion these days.

BG

Edited by Bert Guy
  • Like 1

Bert , The guitar work was Great and really enhanced the jazz feel a lot of players put into this song. I once played in an acoustic trio and this song was always requested in a piano type bar we used to play in. It was Real nice to hear it again. Nice version.  Enjoyed it ..  Good luck with the pc.   Looking forward to the next mix.    mark 

On 8/14/2021 at 2:18 AM, SupaReels said:

Nice job .. I see a sleazy little night club, a blue smokey view to your stage performance .... " Another bourbon waiter " ....

Steve

That is exactly what I had in mind :  a version you might hear late at night in a blues club, Lotsa smoking and drinking, etc.

Thanks for listening.,

Bert

Edited by Bert Guy
  • Haha 1

Hey Bert . . . I was confused at first, played the Soundcloud version, then I noticed your newer mix was on the Soundclick link. Anyways, heard them both, and the newer Soundclick version is a way improved mix version ! I always loved this classic song, and you've certainly done it justice. It's much more polished this time around, glad you fixed the snare, and I think the vocals are balanced better too . . . etc  Thanks for posting the new version here, it was interesting to compare the old and new, enjoyed listening to it very much . . . LOL, I was singing this driving in traffic the other day, but couldn't exactly remember the correct lyrics.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:41 PM, noynekker said:

Hey Bert . . . I was confused at first, played the Soundcloud version, then I noticed your newer mix was on the Soundclick link. Anyways, heard them both, and the newer Soundclick version is a way improved mix version ! I always loved this classic song, and you've certainly done it justice. It's much more polished this time around, glad you fixed the snare, and I think the vocals are balanced better too . . . etc  Thanks for posting the new version here, it was interesting to compare the old and new, enjoyed listening to it very much . . . LOL, I was singing this driving in traffic the other day, but couldn't exactly remember the correct lyrics.

Thanks for listening to both versions and giving me your take, Noy. I thought all the crits I got with the first version were good and I tried to fix them. Yeah, I did bring up the vocal a bit, hopefully without losing the drive of the instrumental section.

Thanks,

Bert