Improve Track Input Channel Naming

Panu Pentikäinen

In track view there is very little room for the input channel text.
Example: for a left (and right) channel, only 6 characters are shown of the channel name while the rest are reserved for the word "Left".
Stereo channels: Only the first (!) letter of the channel name is shown. 

Suggestions:

A) Replace words Left, Right and Stereo with L, R and St (or stereo symbol).
B) Increase width of the input channel widget. There is much more screen estate on modern displays than decade or two ago when this widget was designed.
C) Enable friendly names for mono input channels.

Improve Track Input naming.jpg

• Like 2

I have 28 inputs and outputs but they have to be named only once and after that it would always be easier to see input (and output) channels in the TV.

But like I said: Stero track naming in its current state is not good because only the first letter of the actual name is shown. However, I won't hold by breath while waiting for the improvement; I sent feature request of this very same thing 7-8 years ago but nothing happened... Maybe this time?

2 hours ago, panup said:

I have 28 inputs and outputs but they have to be named only once and after that it would always be easier to see input (and output) channels in the TV.

But like I said: Stero track naming in its current state is not good because only the first letter of the actual name is shown. However, I won't hold by breath while waiting for the improvement; I sent feature request of this very same thing 7-8 years ago but nothing happened... Maybe this time?

I'm sure it would be pretty easy to store alternative names in AUD.INI - all the inputs/outputs are stored in there, so having an extra section with user definable names would be great.

I'd find this especially useful now that I've got my Alice 828 & JoeMeek / GA73 pre's going through an ADAT converter. I would be able to have the actual analog device listed rather than just the number of the ADAT input.