setting up midi with microsoft gs wavetable synth

dwf2008

What do you have to do to make use of the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth? If I open a *.mid file and set the outputs to this instrument, the file will play but there is no sound from the speakers. If I :

1. Open a blank project and add a TTS-1 track

2. Then add an instrument track

3. Then import the same midi file it still will not play with the outputs set for the GS  Wavetable Synth

4. BUT if I set the outputs to the TTS-1, THEN it will play.

What am I missing? File is attached.

gentlywp.mid

2 hours ago, bdickens said:

Why would you want to?

Well, let’s see . . . in the preferences dialog, it shows I have 3 output options, the Microsoft GSSynth, a Yamaha synth, and a Roland synth. I would like to explore all three of them and see which has the best tones. Also, I am sometimes using Cakewalk as an intermediate step to porting a file over to another software and I want to get the patches set for general midi compatibility. Do you know the answer to my question?

The MS GS Wavetable synth is an external synth and needs to be treated like any other hardware synth.

AFAIK, its output is hard coded to use the default Windows audio output.

TTS-1 is a GM synth and most find it easier to work with it instead of dealing with the MS synth chip.

If no MIDI output is enabled in Cakewalk preferences when opening a MIDI file, Cakewalk automatically sets up TTS-1 to play the file.