Love Kept Them Together - remix

Lynn Wilson

Hello CW friends!  Today is a special day for me, so I thought I'd post a song that I wrote in honor of my parents whose anniversary is today.  I wrote the song several months ago but hadn't posted it yet.  It marks my first use of EZ Keys, which has been a boon for me in learning to play keyboards better.  It's my version of Texas roadhouse blues and can be found here:  https://soundclick.com/r/s8ectf

As always, it's all done in CW using S-Gear for guitars and Superior Drummer 3 for drums.  Always looking for suggestions, and thanks in advance for your time and help!

03/23/21:  I've taken your suggestions and remixed this, and it does sound better to my ears.  I brought the guitar and piano closer together (from 75 L & R to 65) because I noticed on headphones that it seemed wider than I remembered.  Also, I tamed the hihat in the first verse a little, but otherwise, that's all.  If anyone else has an idea, it only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish to change, including all uploads.  Many thanks to all who've contributed, and I think it's improved.

Edited by Lynn Wilson
  • Like 3

Hi Lynn

Good track with interesting lyrics!! What did she say I wonder....

Only thing i would say is that the main guitar and keyboard seemed very widely panned to me - they sounded a bit like they were on their own not part of the whole - now that my be the system i was listening on, but just a minor thing perhaps to have a look at.

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

Great, fun, sloppy bar band sound! But the synth trumpet kinda breaks that mood. It was well played, but it sounded like a synth trumpet.

The sound of the voice was a little too AM radio for my personal taste. (Although I dunno, maybe that's what you want. ) If it were me, I'd thin it out, sing a little further from the mic, eliminate some of the distortion. You wanna sound like you're singing in a sweaty, messy pub, but not necessarily through a crappy PA. 😉

Would love if it took longer to fade out; it ended too soon! I wanted more fun playing at the end!

Great tune!

Edited by Barry Seymour
Corrections and additions
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 5:14 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Lynn

Good track with interesting lyrics!! What did she say I wonder....

Only thing i would say is that the main guitar and keyboard seemed very widely panned to me - they sounded a bit like they were on their own not part of the whole - now that my be the system i was listening on, but just a minor thing perhaps to have a look at.

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel, thanks for listening.  I know what you mean by the wide panning-sometimes I like my instruments in different area codes ;)   As far as what was said, I never found out~~~  but I have a feeling I've heard it.

On 3/11/2021 at 6:17 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

It's a cool song Lynn - I liked the funky groove of this one. As always, I enjoyed your vocal.

Thank you so much, Douglas!  I like funky music very much and played in a horn band when I was in high school, so this harkens back to that period of my life.

Great lyrics and story telling!!!!!  Your vocal delivery really accented the story and "feel" of the song also.  You really captured that funky, down-home, Bluesy sound in a great performance.  Luv those guitar leads and accents as well.  Terrific job pal!    Don't know about the panning but the mix sounds good to me.  Yeah, I'm gonna have to go and have another listen to this one.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 7:59 AM, jack c. said:

well done recording job and i like that raspy voice.jack c.

Thank you, Jack!  I have to abuse my voice a little to get there, but that's half the fun!

On 3/11/2021 at 2:36 PM, Paul Bush said:

Hi Lynn , great vocals as usual , its all happening ,great guitar work  just waiting for that ...break ....!   that didnt come .....

Hey Paul, it's good to hear from you!  I know what you mean, it could have a break, and would if it were live...something to ponder.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:37 PM, Barry Seymour said:

Great, fun, sloppy bar band sound! But the synth trumpet kinda breaks that mood. It was well played, but it sounded like a synth trumpet.

The sound of the voice was a little too AM radio for my personal taste. (Although I dunno, maybe that's what you want. ) If it were me, I'd thin it out, sing a little further from the mic, eliminate some of the distortion. You wanna sound like you're singing in a sweaty, messy pub, but not necessarily through a crappy PA. 😉

Would love if it took longer to fade out; it ended too soon! I wanted more fun playing at the end!

Great tune!

Hi Barry, thanks for dropping by and taking the time!  I know what you mean by the horn section, but Session Horns is the best thing I have to give it the flavor I want.  It's kind of like using artificial vanilla opposed to real vanilla, but I don't have access to a real horn section, so...  I'm not sure what you mean by the vocal being too AM, and I'm sorry about the crappy PA sound, but I don't quite hear that.  Regardless, I value your input, and your words will stay with me on future projects.  I'm always open to upgrading my vocal sound!

On 3/12/2021 at 8:30 AM, SupaReels said:

Hi mate, Really enjoyed the story and the funky rock .. if that's a thing, We just celebrated our 50th year of marage and my 70th  this week and I think 1951 was a good year to be born ! LOL ...keep 'em comin 😎

Steve

Steve, thanks so much for your kind words!  I just hit 70 last Wednesday, when I posted this song.  Coincidently, my birthday comes on my late parents anniversary.  I shouldn't be surprised that you're a Pisces, too.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Hi Barry, thanks for dropping by and taking the time!  I know what you mean by the horn section, but Session Horns is the best thing I have to give it the flavor I want.  It's kind of like using artificial vanilla opposed to real vanilla, but I don't have access to a real horn section, so...  I'm not sure what you mean by the vocal being too AM, and I'm sorry about the crappy PA sound, but I don't quite hear that.  Regardless, I value your input, and your words will stay with me on future projects.  I'm always open to upgrading my vocal sound!

I suspect this goes to your more recent question about my 'microphone chain.' I always like a big u-shaped curve on my audio, especially my vocals - rich, full bass, crisp treble and then back off on the mids.

By 'AM' I mean 'AM radio,' which as you know does not have the fidelity of FM. However, I get that 'lo-fi' is often a desired and appropriate choice - see the Black Keys - so all I can say is it's my personal preference.

• Like 1

Really nice song Lynn! I would tame the frequencies on that Hi Hat though. Especially the open Hi Hat seems to be crowding out the vocal and the other instruments. IMO it's very harsh and very upfront in the mix.

I reckon if you took it down and eqd the harshness out of it, the vocal would jump out a bit.

Just my opinion of course...

• Like 1

Big smiles on this one. That chorus with your vocal delays bouncing around has got the perfect psychedelic groove to it. The time you are spending on vocal mixing and treatment is really paying off.

I agree that the synth horn seems out of place but for me it was in a good way, and really, that first horn line you drop in there is a killer part, I would have liked that horn hook to be throughout the rest of the song.

I would have to wonder what your parents would have made of this had they heard it? A fair can of worms, perhaps?

Thank you for sharing your excellent work!

-Tom

• Like 1