What's the Deal with Audio Plugin Deals? (Not a Deal)

Reid Rosefelt

On 3/10/2021 at 9:09 AM, PavlovsCat said:

I swear, this group is like an AA meeting where everyone brings alcohol to the meetings. 

Excellent. Thanks for the share.

I practice "harm reduction." One of my more effective strategies is "not owning a full Kontakt license." Freeware is my non-alcoholic beer.

(Anyone else keep a few $5-10 trinkets in their PB wishlist in order to be able to jump on the monthly freebies?)

My self-justification for the past year for grabbing every shiny object with a big price reduction is that it's been impossible to watch a movie in a theater or go out to eat at a restaurant, so I figure I'm spending my restaurant meals and movies on sound crafting tools. (not helpful I know)

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

(Anyone else keep a few $5-10 trinkets in their PB wishlist in order to be able to jump on the monthly freebies?)

I usually just take a look at close to the end of the month (check for deal end dates) or the first day of the month to see what are the options sub $10 to grab the freebie.  

Starting to get close to redundency or having to resort to buying the cheap Kontakt instruments (that I can't use due to never investing in full Kontakt).

I'm really suprised PB hasn't put a lot of other plugin shops out of business.  The free deals and cheap options to captalize on those deals have been fantastic.  

Is it April yet?  I already got the March deal.  😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Excellent. Thanks for the share.

I practice "harm reduction." One of my more effective strategies is "not owning a full Kontakt license." Freeware is my non-alcoholic beer.

My self-justification for the past year for grabbing every shiny object with a big price reduction is that it's been impossible to watch a movie in a theater or go out to eat at a restaurant, so I figure I'm spending my restaurant meals and movies on sound crafting tools. (not helpful I know)

I do the same thing. Right now I have a couple of $6USD KLANG libraries in my wish list ready to go in case I want the next freebie. I didn't pick up the current one. Do you really like it @Starship Krupa? I'd be game to give it a second look if I hear good things about it. I like the dev (AudioThing).

Fortunately I got all of my software GAS out of the way this February by acquiring a Roland XV-5050 and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, which also allowed me to conveniently play my Bass Guitar without hassle, due to the fact that I suddenly have no desire to save for a bass amp thanks to already having stuff like Amplitube 4 and now, Guitar Rig 5 Pro.

I also grabbed Opacity and Cyclone Retwisted. I was planning on grabbing one of Cherry Audio's Synths like the CA2600, but I realized I am going to go for an SC-8850 soon and after that, a hardware synth, so I have no reason to make any new purchases. Oh yeah, and also Vital dropped and Surge updated to include MSEG, and that's a lot to play with too.

Actually, come to think of it, that is still a lot of GAS, just more focused on big things than...you know...trinkets.

Edited by Freyja Grimaude-Valens

AudioThing Wave Box. I'm still waiting on a good $5-10 deal to pop up.

I already have so many "creative distortion" plug-ins, including Waves Berzerk (freebie), iZotope Trash 2 (freebie), W.A. Production Screamo (came in a bundle), Cableguys Drive Shaper (freebie), as well as MBitfun, MWavefolder and MWaveshaper from the Meldaproduction FreeFX Bundle. And so far I haven't done much with any of them. I did get a really great "We Will Rock You" drum bus sound with Screamo, though.

It's still in that category of "not sure what I can do with it so I can't know what I like" FX. I'm sure that once I get deeper into NIN-type productions, I will become more acquainted with these. If I start "hearing" that something needs it, I'll reach for Trash first, because it seems like the most comprehensive.

3 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Fortunately I got all of my software GAS out of the way this February by acquiring a Roland XV-5050 and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, which also allowed me to conveniently play my Bass Guitar without hassle, due to the fact that I suddenly have no desire to save for a bass amp thanks to already having stuff like Amplitube 4 and now, Guitar Rig 5 Pro.

I also grabbed Opacity and Cyclone Retwisted. I was planning on grabbing one of Cherry Audio's Synths like the CA2600, but I realized I am going to go for an SC-8850 soon and after that, a hardware synth, so I have no reason to make any new purchases. Oh yeah, and also Vital dropped and Surge updated to include MSEG, and that's a lot to play with too.

Actually, come to think of it, that is still a lot of GAS, just more focused on big things than...you know...trinkets.

XV-5050? I’m still on a JV-1080 ...

42 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Haven’t ever plugged it in yet. Go figure. 

Surely you jest! That thing was legendary, back when ROMplers ruled!

I've got a Roland JV-880, JV-1080, and XP-30 (JV-2080 based). Although they sound good, that sample ROM is no match for the 350+ GB I've got tied up in IKM samples for SampleTank, Syntronik, and Miroslav. :)