Drum thrones

Tony Carpenter

My drummer friend hates the throne I have (mid range Gibralter) for my set in the studio.

With COVID I have not had to hear his complaint for over a year now. 🙂 

I used to tell him to bring his but he never did.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 1:13 PM, Bapu said:

My drummer friend hates the throne I have (mid range Gibraltar)

In my observations, most thrones outside of the low-budget zone use a very similar base that's compatible with (or identical to) the ones that Roc-n-Soc uses. The differences are only in the seat, not the bases. So you can get just the top and it should slip right on to a decent quality Gibraltar (or Pork Pie or whatever). Gibraltar also sell replacement tops for much less than the equivalent Roc-n-Soc.

A friend gave me his Roc-n-Soc tractor throne because after trying it, he wanted to go back to a round one. I tried it and also decided that I, too prefer a round one. Where the contoured motorcycle seat bothers me is when I change how far apart my knees are when playing. That seems odd, because one foot on the hat pedal, one foot on the kick pedal, but still, for whatever reason I wind up running afoul of the contours. The round one also allows me to park my tush farther back if I want.

When I rewrapped my first kit in sparkle vinyl, I took my round throne seat over to the auto upholsterers up the street and had them use a remnant of the sparkle vinyl to recover it. So when I haul out the old CB700's, I have a matching throne. It looks pretty cool behind my daily players, a vintage 1970 Slingerland New Rock outfit.

One advantage that the tractor has is that I can fit a backrest to it, and as I get older, I'll probably end up getting one.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:05 PM, Grem said:

I have though about getting one to play guitar on.

Tip: the top of the line Gibraltar is very similar to the Roc-n-Soc at about half the price:

https://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-9608MB-Cordura-Throne-Backrest/dp/B000BZIYY8/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 on the Gibraltar thrones. i have two round ones. way way better than "saving money" on a cheap one. i use one for keyboard and one for drums. very heavy but much more comfortable if you're in the seat for a couple of hours.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1