Mixing with headphones?

Bapu

I have a pair of Avantone mono's.
I really fight with try to mix totally on those and then move over to my Focal Trio's.
I just never seem to stick with it.

I am sure if a mix sounds good on the Avantones it will sound brilliant on the Trio's.

I'm mixing reverbs a little too heavy on headphones. I think it may because I'm older and mixing louder - plus the proximity is somehow drowning out the verb wash. I'm checking against other environments and find myself saying little things like  :  " What the hell was I thinking? " and  " You complete Dufus "  you know-  little constructive criticisms like that. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/17/2021 at 12:47 PM, Hidden Symmetry said:

Just got my discount code for this. .Should cost me about $50.00..hope it's good & not too buggy..

I downloaded the free version of Sienna last night, but haven't tried it out much yet. It is free till October if anyone is interested in trying it out.

https://www.acustica-audio.com/pages/specials/sienna-free

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2021 at 11:05 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

I personally LOVE the AKG 712 pro Studio Reference Monitor Headphones. It's a bit more pricier though.

For me the $349.97 price tag at Amazon is less than what I pad for my HD600s ($399 at Sweetwater) but a bit pricier than my HD6xx (650s, $229 from Massdrop).

I might just pick the AKG 712 and do a deep dive comparison between those and my HD600s and HD650s. I can always return the 712s if I don't see any gret difference than the Sennheiser's.

Well, that makes sense. Where else are you going to spend all those BJZ/FM/CHB royalties?

btw, my favorite setup for final critical listening is a pair of HD650's, but they did not reveal their true potential until I bought a headphone amp for them. Hi-Z, ya know. They're a nice complement to my main speakers, so any time I'm happy with how both sound it raises confidence in the mix.

had the AKG 712's and another AKG, don't remember the model.

incredible mid/high freq detail and beautiful width, couldn't hear any bass though (could be me}.

Seen comments AKG have quite a midrange boost and are nowhere 'flat' as fe HD600.

I can't mix on headphones though (neither on speakers)

• Haha 1

I’ve been mixing with the earbuds that came with the phone I listen to music in (Best thing that has happened to my mixes)

Obviously check on as many other speaker systems as possible before you consider it done, but this approach saves me a lot of time. 

Edited by Miguel Carzola

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a set of AKG K240 Studios that I bought several months ago at the recommendation from folks here. These are relatively inexpensive headphones, essentially identical to K 240 Mk II's which sell for about twice as much. They're open back and very comfortable, and when I'm wearing them,  it feels like I don't have any 'phones on at all, and that I'm just leaning in closer to my monitors to catch the minute details. But still, I don't do heavy mixing with them. I use them to check mixes, yes, but I prefer mixing with my studio monitors -- mostly because I have a subwoofer in my system and the AKGs can't pick up the really low bass frequencies that the subwoofer generates. Well, you hear them, but the cans lack any sort of *oomph*.