My system specs

Bapu

Parts suggested by Jim Roseberry and tweaked by him. I did the "build".

Intel I9 10900K processor O.C. 5.0GHz

Asus Prime Z490-A mobo

Asus Thunderbolt EX 3-TR

Gigabyte HD 5450 Fanless Video

128Gb PC3300 Memory

1TB - SSD Program Drive

8TB - Sample Drive

2TB - Project Drive

Dual Layer RW DVD

Antec P-180 Case

Antec 750W Trio Power Supply

Dell 30" Monitor

2 x UAD Octo Satellites

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm surprised you went with the Gigabyte HD 5450 Fanless Video. Jim's site indicates it's ok to use the embedded GPU. And I would imagine it's even faster than the 5450. I know my C/Gpu is faster than my old GeForce fanless.

Looks like you should be future proof till at least April. 😋

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shane_B. said:

I'm surprised you went with the Gigabyte HD 5450 Fanless Video. Jim's site indicates it's ok to use the embedded GPU. And I would imagine it's even faster than the 5450. I know my C/Gpu is faster than my old GeForce fanless.

I've been with that card for quite sometime. I was having troubles getting the resolution I like from the onboard GPU (2560x1600). I may try again one day.

Edited by Bapu

On 3/13/2021 at 3:40 PM, Tony Carpenter said:

My specs are in my sig. I wasn't and I am still not, a fan of a PC for music, OSX Core Audio is still the best.. but, I gotta say, my audio PC is also very good for games LOL. 

I love the flexibility of PC, I absolutely abhor the Windows experience and GUI....its just a terrible OS for Audio/Media production compared to OSX/MacOS and even Linux.    

Funny how Windows actually originated when  Bill Gates went snooping through Apples first GUI prototype machine and lifting its code.  And Windows still to this day feels like it was designed in a hurry and all from memory.  

• Like 1

Nice specs Bapu...

My mobo died during a mixdown on Friday and doing an emergency build when I get all the components next week:

Motherboard

ASUS - ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO Socket LGA 1200 USB 3.2 Intel Motherboard

Processor

Intel Core i9-10900K Comet Lake 3.7GHz Ten-Core LGA 1200 Boxed Processor

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From my old machine:

Processor Cooler

NH-U14S 140mm U-Type Tower Cooler

Memory

Dominator Platinum - DDR4 16GB 3000Mhz  x 2 for 32GB

Drives

WD - WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe 500GB Internal PCI Express 3.0 x4 Solid State Drive for Laptops & Desktops

Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Samsung PRO 250 SSD

Asus DVD Writer

Power Supply

Seasonic Focus+ 80 Plus Gold 850 FX Fully Modular

Case

Silverstone Fortress FT02 (huge but silent)

Trying to re-use what I can and cannot wait for Gen 11 processor.

Went with the ROG motherboard since it has other goodies and 2 Thunderbolt 4 ports and did not want the headaches of adding it later...

Looking to add this audio interface once the build is working based on Jim's comments about latency:

Presonus Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface

• 3 weeks later...

@Bapu Have you ran LatencyMon on it by any chance? I'd love to see a screenshot of the results after leaving LatencyMon running for 20 minutes, or so.

I'm looking at building a new system and that is normally the thing that causes the most trouble, so it would be great to see what that motherboard and other components perform like 🙂

I'm trying to decide on Motherboard and CPU at the moment.

Thanks!

Edited by Cammo

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 7:37 AM, clovis said:

Funny how Windows actually originated when  Bill Gates went snooping through Apples first GUI prototype machine and lifting its code.  And Windows still to this day feels like it was designed in a hurry and all from memory.  

i guess Bill figured it was ok to steal some ideas after Apple stole it from Xerox 🙂 

I actually owned one of these (heck, it might still be in my garage!).  It's a BAT keyboard that Xerox created to use with a mouse.  The idea was one hand for typing and the other for the mouse.  You use it by "chording" along with different thumb placement.  Apparently, if you're a slow typer or a fast one, you end up around 40-45 words-per-minute using it.

249px-BAT_AT-ADB_left_hand_top.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 6:37 AM, Clovis said:

I love the flexibility of PC, I absolutely abhor the Windows experience and GUI....its just a terrible OS for Audio/Media production compared to OSX/MacOS and even Linux.    

As a very long time Windows user and a once-in-a-blue-moon Mac user, in my opinion the Windows experience is a well-designed and very logical environment compared to the  horror show that is the Mac user experience.

But that's just me. :)

Programs I purchased in the 90s will still run on my Windows 10 desktop unchanged. My brother has to upgrade  all of his software every time Apple decides his computer isn't quite right anymore.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:12 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

i guess Bill figured it was ok to steal some ideas after Apple stole it from Xerox 🙂 

If I recall correctly both representatives from Apple and Microsoft visited the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center. Microsoft and Apple both liberally stole from Xerox. I'm sure there was a lot of cross pollination between Apple and Microsoft as well.

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2021 at 5:55 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

yes for sure, however, Apple is still using the one button mouse lol 🙂 

Hmmmmm. I use a wireless Logitech M510 mouse (2 button + wheel) on my MacBook Pro and all three function like you would expect them to if you are a Windows user.