ChowDSP KLON Centaur

cclarry

Free guitar pedal emulation:

Pretty cool. Havent seen any emulations of this before. Its an overdrive/booster pedal thats really well renowned (and crazy expensive for the original).

Some other freebies on the site. Also includes source files which is pretty cool if youre a developer and want to take a deep dive into their programming.

https://chowdsp.com/products.html#centaur

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piotr said:

This is funny video about hardware:

The delusional nature of this guy "a lot of people made videos about the Klon subsequent to my video, it was really fun to see the resurgance of this pedal."

He was about 10 years late to the Klon hype train and videos consistantly get made on the subject, they never went away.  Including Klones.  

Sold mine years ago.  Crazy that he paid $5K for one.

Edited by Brian Walton

15 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

Wonder if it will sound as good as relatively affordable clone pedals like EHX’s Soul Food.

I can't exactly speak to that as I don't have any non-boutique dirt pedals.  But I did about a 15 minute test doing some A/Bs with a couple non Klon, or Klones and my guess would be the EHX is likley better.

The Chow gets some of the general tone in the ballpark, but it also tends to kind of take over the tone and not feel as much as your amp driven.  More like "Klon clipping with some random amp behind it."  I found it also impacts the high end in a way that my pedals do not do, taking away air from say an amp sim and the dynamics do not feel like what they could/should be in my short test.

For those that work in the box, a cool tool to have.  But if you are a legitimate guitar player and have pedals, it might not be your go-to.