What Is Your Claim To Fame?

garybrun

4 hours ago, Rico Belled said:

I was nominated for a Grammy with the Rippingtons for Modern Art!

R

Awesome!  Always loved your band.  Tourist in Paradise is my favorite (about 20 years earlier than Modern Art!  LOL). 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, craigb said:

That explains a lot! 😆

Obviously IRL I would rather peel off my own skin with a penknife and cook it in boiling vinegar and then roll in salt for an hour before also jumping into the boiling vinegar than let one microfibre of that vile fabric touch my skin. ;)

I still have my autograph book from when I was a children.

On consecutive pages I have the signatures of:

• Fred Davis OBE - Snooker World Champion; (x9); Billiards World Champion (x2)
  • Basil D'Oliveira CBE - Cricket Legend (44 Test Caps for England)
  • Sir Bernard Lovell OBE FRS - Notably first Director of Jodrell Bank Radio Observatory

Impressed?

😊

24 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

• Sir Bernard Lovell OBE FRS - Notably first Director of Jodrell Bank Radio Observatory

Impressed?

😊

I like the concept of an autograph book!  Not sure why I've never heard of one before.  Typically the dolt just signs whatever you're holding so you're stuck having to keep that object if you want to keep the autograph.  This is a much better (and longer lasting) keepsake. 👍

My favorite autograph would have to be that of Eric Bristow MBE - Dart World Champion (x5).  Why?  Because it was on the back of the tournament card after I beat him in the mid-80's! 😆😎

At first he refused to sign it since he felt it was disrespectful that some "nobody Yank" would beat him even though I did average 14-dart legs over the entire match and he missed three darts at double 16 to win the match!  His fan-boys and the tournament Director eventually talked him into playing by the rules, unfortunately the same Director wouldn't allow me to keep the card...  Oh yeah, and ESPN filmed us warming up than wandered off before the match started!  Bastages!  That's one film I would have loved to have had.

• Great Idea 1

My (now, ex) wife and I were in the Chicago airport and we noticed The Crash Test Dummies (of the Mm Mm Mm Mm fame) were there too. 

I've never asked for an autograph, but she was star struck. I have their second CD (which was in my travel case at the time) with all but one of the members autograph (IIRC it was the drummer who was travelling separately) thanks to her.

I have Willie Nelson, Ferlin Husky, Brutus Beefcake, Classy Fred Blassie, and Captain Lou Albano's autograph. The wrestlers are on a McDonald's napkin from where they were all eating at in Port Jervis NY and Willie and Ferlin's are on show tickets.

1 hour ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Impressed?

😊

I don't have any of those.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

... (IIRC it was the drummer who was travelling separately) thanks to her.

Wow, how did she manage to pi55 off a drummer??! 😮

😜

Edited by craigb
Stupid fooking censorship!
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 9:38 AM, PavlovsCat said:

I stopped playing publicly in the 90s due to severe tendinitis -- it was a deal killer when you're a drummer. I still continued to write music, as I did since I was like 4 years old, but after my DAW PC's main hard drive took a dive around a decade ago and I lost a ton of music I never backed up, I stopped. I figured, what's the point. I don't play out anymore. My tendinitis stops me from playing drums or keyboards well anymore -- I'd sometimes play for a few minutes, have excruciating pain and then stop completely. Then last year, my teenage son asked me for a gaming PC for Christmas and he said he wanted to learn to play keyboards. So I started showing him how to play Beatles, Coldplay, etc. and realized that I could play keyboards for up to an hour without pain and now I'm awaiting a friend building me a custom PC for my next DAW so I can go back to recording music that nobody really cares to hear, with musical chops gone after decades of no practice, and yet I can't stop my desire to keep making music. I take it that it is common among this group, but then I hear some of the music people are sharing -- like maybe it was you, Bapu who recently shared a Steely Dan cover with amusing forum-related lyrics and it was really good. I think my reality is that my playing skills are now very pedestrian, where I was once a talented musician and I'm nowhere near my hypercritical standards,  and yet I still am compelled to record anyway! Maybe I'm my worst critic,  but I'm not wrong. 

Boy I can totally relate to that.