Latest version closes down suddenly

SteenE

22 hours ago, CJ Jacobson said:

Is it closing down on every project or just one. This can determine if its a project or the DAW itself

CJ

It was different projects. The lastest one was a real old one.

On 3/31/2019 at 1:28 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Which VST? likely a plugin corrupting memory.

Sorry, Noel, I don't remember specifically which VST caused CW to close.  It has only happened once or twice, and never became an issue with me.  Generally, this version of CW has been the most stable version of CW ever.  I do understand the immense challenge of dealing with all the different VST's out there, and I give CW high marks for dealing with most of them very well.

FWIW: I'm experiencing some random crashes on the latest built after I freeze tracks. The graphics will loose color on the tracks while exporting to freeze and the edit area deforms, although it will return to normal at other times (hard to explain). A random vsti will cause a lockup with "the program is not responding" error from windows 10. Native Instruments Kontakt is a regular culprit to this fun. I will try to get more details, will be tracking again this evening. At any rate, I am a happy bandlab - cakewalk user! I have Harrison Mixbus32 v5 and an older version of Cubase on the same computer and I've gotta say that Cakewalk RAWKS! THX

This has happened to me exactly once in the latest version about a week ago. I was putting an instance of Guitar Rig 5 in an FX bin that was otherwise empty and... 'poof', the Cakewalk window closed and that was it. Fortunately, I didn't really lose anything either, but it was a bit of a shocker. I've logged a lot of hours on Cakewalk since then with no problems at all.

I have had numerous "poofs!" with the latest version. The whole program just disappears with no warning or error message. This happened when I tried to export a mix or bounce the project down to a single stereo track. Otherwise everything worked as expected and I could work on the project. I just couldn't mix down.

After a couple hours of turning off or deleting plugins and exporting the entire project minus one track (at a time), deleting automation, changing buffer settings and stuff, I discovered that one audio track was causing the crashes. This track had been heavily edited - there may have been 40 cuts. At this point I discovered that I also could not bounce this track down to itself to get rid of all the cuts. When I tried to do this the program would crash with no warning or error message. I tried duplicating the track and the new track caused the same problem. Finally I set the output of this track to a new aux track and recorded it there in real time, then archived the offending track. This worked, with the added benefit that my automation on this track was baked into the newly recorded track. Problem solved, no more crashes.

I never found out what was wrong with that one evil track. It was just a guitar played through a TH3 amp sim.

Yes, I just had it happen this evening.

What was happening was I was setting up to record my friend playing guitar, and had recorded a little bit of him playing just to see if everything was getting through properly, then hit Ctrl-Z to delete the little bit that I had just tracked.

Poof! No more Cakewalk, no error message, no hang, no freeze, just absence of Cakewalk. There it was, and the next second there was the Firefox window displaying the documentation page I had been reading when I had launched help ab out copying Quadcurve EQ settings.

Crash to desktop is what its called. Or ctd. - duh, but I for one have not had this issue. Win10 1709? Xeon machine, latest cbb, but ignored the latest hotfix because i wasnt having the fast bounce problem described.I have windows automatic updates off I think for good this time. I offer this info for the bakers as a case study of what does not ctd. Yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 3:54 PM, Mike Erwin said:

A random vsti will cause a lockup with "the program is not responding" error from windows 10. Native Instruments Kontakt is a regular culprit to this fun.

When I first got Sample Tank 4 I was having the same issues with CbB hanging when I would try to use it.  That being said, Sample Tank would hang when I was using it as a stand alone.  So it wasn't very hard to identify the culprit.

Luckily, IK came out with an update three days after I got Sample Tank... version 4.1.  No problems whatsoever since installing the update.

/OM