Unable to adjust MIDI keyboard volume while playing along with a track

I am new to Cakewalk, so please apologize my ignorance! I spent almost two hours searching for an answer to my problem but was not successful.

Here comes the problem: I have not identified where to adjust the volume of my MIDI keyboard (V61) while playing along with replaying a track within the piano roll. I installed the MIDI keyboard without problems and while playing a track I can play along with my keyboard. However, the keyboard is pretty weak compared to the track and I could not find the knob that would allow for turning up the keyboard volume (while not increasing the master volume or the volume of the track at the same time).

Good to hear you had a crack at solving it yourself. Without knowing how much you know about midi I can provide a bit of info which hopefully you won't find too simplistic or condescending. So Midi volume is based on a scale of 1-127 with 127 being the highest and it is known as note velocity. You should find that the harder you hit the keys on your keyboard, the louder the sound, as in theory (if your keyboard supports note velocity) if you hit the key hard it can hit 127, if you hit it softer it will be less.  So the keyboard itself has no effect on volume other than hitting the keys harder.  In order to hear what you are playing, louder through the software, look for a volume knob on the virtual instrument you are using. Most have an output volume knob. If that is not an option all you can do is turn the track volume up. Note that in Cakewalk you have a choice of one simple instrument track which combines audio and midi or you can have split instrument tracks which separates the audio and midi into two (or more) tracks. You can then turn the fader up to get more volume on the audio track.

You do need input echo enabled to hear what you are playing if you are playing along to another track.

The other option is to route the keyboard to one bus and the backing to another bus (or busses) and manage the volume balance from the busses

Edited by Hatstand

Dear Hatstand,

thank you for your swift response! I was able to fix my problem based on your advice. You were right: The Midi keyboard was linked to one of my tracks. I created a third track and linked the keyboard to this one. Now I can adjust the volume for the keyboard separately. Thanks a lot!