Facedown

Douglas Kirby

Great, straightforward tune, but kind of an abrupt start - I heard an echo like a drum had been hit a fraction of a second before recording started.

Would prefer a slightly clearer vocal sound; back off a bit from the mic, use EQ to thin it out a bit.  The whole thing could use a little more 'air' - everything seems crowded together.  EQ and pan the various instruments to get them more out of each others' way. Ditto for the vocals; pan the back ground voices to left and right so it sounds like there are three of you in a row.

Make sure you fade to zero at the end of the song, too! I heard click track and room noises after the song ended.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 8:43 PM, Barry Seymour said:

Great, straightforward tune, but kind of an abrupt start - I heard an echo like a drum had been hit a fraction of a second before recording started.

Would prefer a slightly clearer vocal sound; back off a bit from the mic, use EQ to thin it out a bit.  The whole thing could use a little more 'air' - everything seems crowded together.  EQ and pan the various instruments to get them more out of each others' way. Ditto for the vocals; pan the back ground voices to left and right so it sounds like there are three of you in a row.

Make sure you fade to zero at the end of the song, too! I heard click track and room noises after the song ended.

Thanks for your crits and suggestions - and thanks for giving my song a listen.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 11:08 AM, Lynn Wilson said:

You are the model of consistency

I totally concur!

@Barry Seymourall good suggestions, but as to the vocal sound, you're applying your production values to his production.
I'm thinking Doug is pretty zeroed in on what he's looking for.
But we all "miss" things occasionally so maybe not...

t

wait 👍's, almost forgot

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I totally concur!

@Barry Seymourall good suggestions, but as to the vocal sound, you're applying your production values to his production.

t

wait 👍's, almost forgot

A totally fair point.  After all all we have to offer are our opinions, mine was just that - only an opinion.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 10:32 AM, DeeringAmps said:

I totally concur!

t

wait 👍's, almost forgot

Hey Tom - thanks for listening and for your comments - I think the mix sounds pretty good - but everybody has different ears and opinions - no worries. Regarding the lead vocal - I sang this one with a Studio Projects C1 - I bought it about six months ago ($250) - some complain that it's a bit too bright, but I think for pop and rock it sits quite well in a mix (with my voice anyway). 20 years ago, when it came out, it had rave reviews - some comparing it to a Newmann U87 (wihich I can't afford). I like it , so it's a keeper for me.

• Like 1

Nice one Douglas!  Great vocals and I love those guitars.  Not to draw attention to my chronological existence on this planet (?) but this song and style reminds me of some of the many great bands that could be found in the Tampa Bay area and that were recorded on the Paris Tower label throughout the 1960s. 

Good work -- I enjoyed it!!

Edited by freddy j
addition
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, freddy j said:

Nice one Douglas!  Great vocals and I love those guitars.  Not to draw attention to my chronological existence on this planet (?) but this song and style reminds me of some of the many great bands that could be found in the Tampa Bay area and that were recorded on the Paris Tower label throughout the 1960s. 

Good work -- I enjoyed it!!

Hey Freddy - I'm glad you liked it - thanks for listening. I'm going to check out the Paris Tower label.