Automatic bass line

BGJammer

No one else has mentioned them yet, so...

Captain plugins from Mixed In Key. Captain Chords. Captain Beat. Captain Melody. Captain Deep (for basslines). Captain Play.

https://mixedinkey.com/captain-plugins/

Not on sale at the moment, but it does happen. Solid plugins.

There are lots of YouTube videos on the v5 version. Here's Mixed In Key's video for Captain Deep.

51 minutes ago, abacab said:

Scaler 2 is another option for creating chord progressions and bass lines. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/plugin-boutique-scaler-2

Now with key and scale detection for MIDI and audio.

I hadn't thought about Scaler 2 for bass lines. It's a terrific plugin. I installed it, along with the Captain plugins, on my new laptop. Auto Theory, InstaChord, InstaScale and others of that type that I tried out, did not make the cut. Didn't get used on my old desktop, so why bother? Scaler 2 is less expensive, but I like all of the different Rhythms available in Captain Deep. That said, I need to go back I look at Scaler from a bass line perspective. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Maar said:

I hadn't thought about Scaler 2 for bass lines. It's a terrific plugin. I installed it, along with the Captain plugins, on my new laptop. Auto Theory, InstaChord, InstaScale and others of that type that I tried out, did not make the cut. Didn't get used on my old desktop, so why bother? Scaler 2 is less expensive, but I like all of the different Rhythms available in Captain Deep. That said, I need to go back I look at Scaler from a bass line perspective. 👍

Scaler 2.2 has added a new Bass Mode, with over 100 basslines categorized and capable of responding to your chords.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, abacab said:

Scaler 2.2 has added a new Bass Mode, with over 100 basslines categorized and capable of responding to your chords.

That's what happens when you don't pay attention to the release notes. And I'm on v2.3. Doh. Watching and learning now.

• Haha 1

To me using patterns is a lot more work than others methods you could use to create music. I’ve never understood the point of them other than for drums. 

I guess I’ve always figured out how to make my own parts a lot faster than digging though 1,000’s of patterns 

I was not a keyboard player when midi came into my life. I had absolutely no clue where the notes were. But I quickly figured out how to play simple bass parts on a keyboard and how to edit them into an ok backing track. After all you could slow down the tempo and even then we had quantize. 

I bought the Roland GR50 hoping to play bass lines on my guitar. It worked but because data storage was limited I couldn’t use the resulting midi data because it was huge. So back to the keyboard  

It took 30 year for my dream to come true and I can now play my real bass and just drag it to a midi track.
But up until then I just got better and better at keyboards because I had to if I wanted good tracks. I now enjoy keyboard and look forward to spending more time practicing now I’m retired. 

then there’s drums!  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting idea, Mr. Fogle.  I'll give that a look also.

Thanks for your thoughts, John.  I guess my needs are just simpler that what you wanted to accomplish (and you have certainly accomplished a great deal).  Or maybe I'm just "simple".  🙂

Ken in Kansas

• 9 months later...
On 3/12/2021 at 2:46 PM, abacab said:

Came across this thread while looking for some less "frenetic" Bass midi patterns, and now I'm waaaay down the Scaler rabbit-hole. There goes my weekend.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I am amazed at what a great tutorial this is. Have been commissioned to produce 70 ESL kids songs at a low budget, and though I had heard of BIAB years ago, being a professional producer never considered using it. You have sold me on this. I appreciate all you put into the making of this tutorial. Easy to digest. dickssportinggoods feedback www.lowes.com survey

Edited by jariyasur