Calkewalk with Apollo Twin Duo USB Latency Pronlem

jonathan  hanemann

Question

System: WINDOWS 10 64 Bit, Intel Core i7 8550U CPR @ 1.80 GHz 1.99 GHz

Wondering if anyone can help me out. Having pretty bad latency problems using an Apollo Twin Duo USB with Cakewalk recording bass and guitars. I'm not using direct monitoring through the Apollo because I'm using plugins in Cakewalk and I need to hear them, so I'm monitoring through input Echo in Cakewalk. As an example, on a single track, I'm using just a Sansamp BDDI plugin and an amp sim  plugin. Neither are high CPU usage. Add a compressor plugin to that, and forget about it. Totally unworkable.

Note that I'm not running ANY other plugins in this situation.

I've attached shots of all the settings I'm using. I've had WAY less latency using cheap interfaces. Almost seems like the more expensive I go, the more problems lol!!

Thanks

ss1.JPG

SS2.JPG

5 answers to this question

So look at your Latency results and what I see is 11.5 coming in and 5.2 going out. total of 16.7 which is too much to use Sims. You need to get it down below 5ms before you can play along without hearing a delay echo. 7ms max. 

256 is a nice safe buffer and what I use all the time.  And 17 ms RTL is exactly what I get from my Motu M4 so your device is on par. 

For using Sims you need to use as low a buffer as possible. start with 32 and see if your system can handle it. It will be up to your computer at this point. 

A 256 sample buffer @ 48K is probably the upper limit for most when monitoring through the DAW.

Keep in mind plug-in choice can significantly add to the delay.

3 hours ago, jonathan hanemann said:

Add a compressor plugin to that, and forget about it. Totally unworkable.

If the compressor has a large lookahead buffer it will be a problem.

It may have the ability to adjust its buffer or it may be designed for mixing/master and not be suitable for use while recording.

Information about its buffering and application should be in the documentation.

I agree with those replies above. In fact I often get the sound I want with the amp sim, then when I record I use the global fx bypass. You do lose a bit of mojo but your part will be in time, it is always a trade off if you add lots of sims and fx and then record as each one will add latency (some more than others)

@jonathan hanemann yes you always have to deal with compromises. Guy from Disclosure has a twitch channel which is really good. He has a top of the range Macbook Pro and UAD interface and he still has to have a different side chain click track for the UAD because it is always slightly later than the DAW click track.

Firewire and Thunderbolt interfaces will be faster than USB but even then, once you have a number of tracks with a load of plugins enabled it will slow things down if you are recording as opposed to mixing.

You will often see tips on these forums where it is recommended to record at lower buffer values but mix at higher values. i.e. record at 256 but mix at 512. The best thing to do is record everything you can first with the minimal amount of processing then once you have finished the recording phase then mix to your hearts content with as many plugins and processing as your system will handle. With mine which is not particularly high end (time for an upgrade methinks) I can still manage around 60 tracks+12 busses with all the effects (eq, compression, delays, reverbs, amp sims, limiters and  vst instruments) running before it starts stuttering on playback, providing I have nothing else running such as browsers, email clients or anything else adding to network traffic.

Edited by Hatstand