Is Cakewalk gaining users/popularity with Bandlab?

39 minutes ago, ChernobylStudios said:

Everybody knows X1 was a bug filled mess and it was the beginning of the end. 

and yet you are still here 🤔    🤣
I have been recommending CbB  for folks to try. I say what do you have to lose, its free! Great now that the PDF manual is available :)

2 hours ago, ChernobylStudios said:

Everybody knows X1 was a bug filled mess and it was the beginning of the end. 

X1 was released too early IMHO. Eventually it got sorted out, but you have only one chance to make a first impression :)

I think the current trajectory of concentrating on stability is a smart move. I hope they tackle Rapture Pro next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

and yet you are still here 🤔    🤣

So edgy.

I'm making videos on my YouTube channel for people who have been requesting that I do so since the day Bandlab took over. I bring actual content and value. That content and value also comes with criticism. I'll be happy when I don't have to suffer moronic comments such as yours when my tutorials are finished.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 9:29 PM, ChernobylStudios said:

I have a Studio One 3.5 license, so yes I have. It's always nice to find out who the Gammas here are.

I didn't say the interface was perfect or that it worked well , but that it was a vast organizational improvement over window-on-top-of-window as it had been. Everybody knows X1 was a bug filled mess and it was the beginning of the end. 

no what you said was "I mean, the X1 Skylight Interface was directly lifted and implemented into Studio One for example."  - no need for personal bashing

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 5:20 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Did you miss the export to BandLab feature? Its been there for several months now :)

Sorry, Noel. I have tried the Export to Bandlab feature, but a.) You can't export much to Bandlab; b.) We have always been able to export the tracks and stems we want to export and share them in various ways; and c.) When I tried to export five buses to Bandlab, the only thing that made it was the project title. All the data got lost in the endless loop of "still processing." I'm sure you'll get this working, but it doesn't seem like it's something I will ever need. Since the big DAW is available at no charge, it seems to me more likely that I'll just talk potential collaborators into downloading and installing it, and send them my tracks via Dropbox.

Please show me why it would be better to go through Bandlab. I really do want to know.

• Like 1

I get these terrible vibes that CbB developers got writers block.

Hope they find better sources to lend their ears to.

I also hope everybody have think things over and understand that to gain users, that's gonna stay, you have to do CbB more userfriendly.

Lazyness is a global personality thing. Make things easier to do and to understand.

Keeping track of hundreds of shortcut keys or use, maybe 30 sticky notes, to remember workarounds is not things lazy people do.

PS. You see, i have used CbB since start and like the free ride because i have extremely low income but...

Even if it's free i keep getting annoyed on things like why it's working in,for me,  a non logic way or missing logical bits to accomplish something.

So i'm glancing at Reaper and Mulab. But i probably should thanks for forcing me to learn a proper daw.

DS. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, abacab said:

Yes, definitely Reaper. Because it's so logical and intuitive! ;)

What i know is only what i read about it and the fact that when i had problems with vst in CbB it worked ok in R.

It seems you have to spend some hours to get to grips and set the settings to your liking and then it should be logical.

To start up a vst and play it/them was easy and logical and it was the first time i opened R.

You know "glancing" mean that it's still in the theoretical phase.

On the downside is that, so far, i can't find a step sequenser in R.

I keep Reaper around, but the only use for me so far is for testing VST plugins that I may have a problem with elsewhere. The best feature of Reaper, IMHO, is the single track type and flexible routing. Once you figure the routing out, that is a valuable tool. No separate MIDI tracks, audio tracks, synth tracks, etc. to deal with. Most other DAWs force you to select a track type to work with, and then there are explicit things you either can or cannot do with a certain track type. But the rest of the workflow in Reaper is a PITA for me.

I have found that all DAWs I have tried have certain apparent illogical idiosyncrasies and gotchas to be learned. As with any other, start with the manual and some videos.

I have been using Cakewalk longer than any others, so it is the easiest for me to use. It's not the only one I have, just the most comfortable to grab and go with. I have been "glancing" at other DAWs for years, and even invested in a couple of them during the great "Gibson shutdown".

And Cakewalk does have a step sequencer!

Edited by abacab

Cakewalk is far easier to use than Reaper. If you think CbB is esoteric and difficult to use, don't even think about Reaper.

As for lazy people: they never get anywhere. Any significant accomplishment requires significant learning and effort. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mdiemer said:

...As for lazy people: they never get anywhere. Any significant accomplishment requires significant learning and effort. 

Great! If you are  not lazy i count on you to support me in demanding a lot of changes in CbB.

Well, considering the software is free, I don't think it's cool to demand anything of Cakewalk/Bandlab. We should be thanking them every day for it. But it's fine to ask for things, and give them feedback.

It works fine for me, not perfectly, but then it wasn't designed with me, specifically,  in mind. If you take the time to learn how to use it (yes, it does take time and a lot of hard work),  it will work fine for you too.

Edited by mdiemer
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, mdiemer said:

Well, considering the software is free, I don't think it's cool to demand anything of Cakewalk/Bandlab. We should be thanking them every day for it. But it's fine to ask for things, and give them feedback.

+1 for this ^^^

Make suggestions, but please don't make demands of a free gift!!! xD

• Great Idea 1

19 hours ago, mdiemer said:

Cakewalk is far easier to use than Reaper. If you think CbB is esoteric and difficult to use, don't even think about Reaper.

As for lazy people: they never get anywhere. Any significant accomplishment requires significant learning and effort. 

I agree with you, the Skylight interface is one of the best UI of all DAW. But it is true that the developers should consider selecting the BASIC lense as default for newcomers. REAPER has excellent performance when using VST plugins and is less-bloated than Cakewalk by default, but it is only a matter of time that you start adding custom actions, new toolbars, shortcuts, scripts, skins and such.... 

Edited by Feral State Sound

1 hour ago, Feral State Sound said:

REAPER has excellent performance when using VST plugins and is less-bloated than Cakewalk by default, but it is only a matter of time that you start adding custom actions, new toolbars, shortcuts, scripts, skins and such.... 

I only brought Reaper up because I saw ironic humor in an earlier post that perhaps implied that Reaper might be easier to learn than Cakewalk.  But I am sure there are many folks happily using either one! ;)

• Like 1

Hmmm... I think once that true sounds studios guy finishes his new studio and starts making tutorials alot of people will watch  and as a result his channel might gain some traction! 

I think the  key to a good daws success is to make it a good all rounder for all kinds of music producers. Like logic pro is very versatile when it comes to it. Has professional recording artists to electronic music producers using it! 😀

Edited by Stephen Ajewole
  • Like 1