Cloud storage - Are many folks using it?

pax-eterna

I have just completed an install to a new Intel NUC system and prior to downloading all my Sonar data to local storage, I wanted to ask if many folks here are using cloud storage, actively and dynamically? By that I mean directly accessing files online and not locally.

If you are, I'd be interested to hear your experiences with same.

Thanks

I use OneDrive for my home cloud storage. They have the most cost effective cloud storage at about $99 per year for the office 365 family plan. 
You get 6 TB of data and also all the office apps included. I also have multiple NAS's for local storage. The NAS connects directly to OneDrive to backup.

With recent fibre installation I now take advantage of idrive. They had an offer of something like $5 for the first year for 5tb. But I think it then goes to $69 a year after that. I'm pretty happy with it, reasonably quick upload speeds but haven't yet had to restore anything ( apart from a test I did). 

Thanks guys, I already have Onedrive (with a TB of storage) I was more interested in experiences with using Sonar with files and data dynamically with an online storage system.

And I HAVE tried the file syncing system (with OD installed on the PC) but I found it to be quite clunky in operation and idiosyncrasies. So I thought this time I might juts try and run it all from online, with apps on the PC of course.

Edited by pax-eterna

the problem with keep the OneDrive (or Google Drive) active while using it - they're aggressive in trying to synchronize the files and i've many times run into a collision which caused the DAW to crash or report permission issues. so before starting a session - i reboot my PC so its as clean as it will be, then i pause the OneDrive and Google Drive (and sometimes the network) and i'm good to go. Once done, i resume the OneDrive and Google Drive to sync and go take a break. since i've gotten into this habit - no crashes or reported conflicts with files, and only take a few seconds to resume.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:15 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

I use OneDrive for my home cloud storage. They have the most cost effective cloud storage at about $99 per year for the office 365 family plan. 
You get 6 TB of data and also all the office apps included. I also have multiple NAS's for local storage. The NAS connects directly to OneDrive to backup.

HEY!!!! How come I have the $99/year plan, and only get 1 TB of storage?!?

On 3/8/2021 at 7:25 PM, pax-eterna said:

Thanks guys, I already have Onedrive (with a TB of storage) I was more interested in experiences with using Sonar with files and data dynamically with an online storage system.

And I HAVE tried the file syncing system (with OD installed on the PC) but I found it to be quite clunky in operation and idiosyncrasies. So I thought this time I might juts try and run it all from online, with apps on the PC of course.

Isn't that how Roland Cloud works?

Just a heads up to anyone who comes across this thread.

I gave it a good try, but it is way too slow to be useful. Some Sonar CWP files took near two minutes to d/l before ready to work on. I guess an average was about 45seconds to a minute. And that was with D/L speeds from about 900kb per second up to about  a 6MB per second. It would probs be ok if you had dedicated cable, but on normal ethernet, not workable. I'll stick with having them local and syncing specific folders to OD.

Thanks all for comments and thoughts.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 5:42 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

The catch is 1TB per user. Its relatively simple though just create multiple users under the plan to expand the storage.

Have you got the multiple personal One Drive accounts to run on 1 computer?  That's what I've been trying to get working (unsuccessfully so far) and the way I read the MS explanation is you can have multiple business or education One Drive accounts on a computer but only 1 personal account.  Sure you can get at the other personal accounts via the web browser but it doesn't have the same functionality.  Still tinkering with it.

Otherwise love One Drive for Cakewalk and most other things. 

Most of my Cloud Storage use is iCloud, since I own multiple Apple devices.

I have Microsoft 365, but it's really only the Office default save location and backup for User Guides; along with what I use to share files, since it's easy to create expiring links there.

I tried Google Drive but I will let that expire after the year is up, cause I never use it 😛

I have enough HDDs here that I don't need cloud storage.

I can't be bothered to use cloud storage for actual work.  we don't have fiber here.  The latency is just too annoying to deal with, and it's often a lot of data to be uploading as well (once you start bouncing things to audio, or if you record lots of tracks).

On 3/12/2021 at 8:06 PM, pax-eterna said:

And that was with D/L speeds from about 900kb per second up to about  a 6MB per second.

Connection speed and reliability of that connection factor greatly into anything "real-time." Your fastest speeds will always be in the box (ITB), and you will not need to deal with the syncing background processes that Glenn mentioned above.

Even as a backup solution, definitely test your download speeds first... if you only get an effective "14 MB/sec" download speed, 6TB will take 119 HOURS to download back to your system (and possibly 1400+ hours to put it there, since upload speeds are far slower).

If an app needs to go through the CPU smoothly, stay ITB. For archiving (and "possibly" data access, depending on port speeds) external drives are more likely a cheaper and safer solution (no one can hack anything not jacked into a network).

Yeah true. I do have a couple of large USB drives...I guess I like the "automatic" backup that OneDrive syncing does. If I modify a file (in a synced folder) then it auto updates the online saved version. I don't have to worry that I have missed something when I "renovate" the system.

But yes, it is a good idea you suggest.