What Computer Monitor(s) Do You Use? TV? Curved? Multi?

DCMG

I have a cheap LG Ultrawide monitor (LG 25UM58-P), 25", 2560 x 1080 resolution. My desk couldn't accommodate any bigger monitor. For my poor eyesight (lifelong myopia and now presbyopia as well), there's enough stuff on the screen to eliminate the need for excessive scrolling around but still everything is big enough for me to see. 😂

• Like 2

I have three:  main is Dell 24 in; right is 22 in HANNspree HDMI left a Sceptre 22"

Main moniter is track view; right is used for PVR and various settings ie:  Staff view, tempo etc; left shows VST and effect plug-ins.

All connected to USB expansion devices.  Three may be overkill, but it works quite well for me.  The left monitor is attached to a monitor swivel which I can use to read PDF files etc by swinging it over my keyboard which is perpendicular to the workstation.

• Like 1

I have a small, small (did I say small?) studio with one of those creation stations in it. I don't have the physical room for larger monitors or I would have two large or one giant one. So alas, I have 2, 24 inch flat.

(I'm very grateful for my studio though. I don't want to give the impression I'm not)

• Like 1

I have multiple HDTV's to pick from - I generally use a massive 65" HDTV for my main computer display, but also have a 55", 40", and 32" available.  Most of what I do is MIDI-based, and I record guitars or basses using my laptop, 

I typically track my keyboards using the 40", and use the larger 55" or the 65" when editing or mixing.

I used to run as many as 3 monitors, but just don't bother with that anymore - a single screen works fine for most stuff I work on.

Certainly, actual real computer monitors tend to give a more precise picture, but I don't mind the quality of the picture on any of my HDTV's, for Cakewalk.

Bob Bone

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 3:25 PM, Bill Phillips said:

In my case I have about 39" between my monitors. So I'm looking for a 37" or 38" curved monitor like this one. I'm just waiting for the price to drop below $700. Hope I live that long.🤣

Curious if you've used the curved monitor for any length of time while using your DAW. I get the intended purpose for gaming but wondering what it adds in DAW experience.

Thanks for all the input here. I've got a lot of options to look into.

On 3/7/2021 at 4:42 PM, MediaGary said:

This has come up before on this forum.  I'm providing two links (below) to my posts on the topic.  

I used a curved 55-inch LG OLED display for about two years, and have since gone back to a flat LED display of the same size, even after testing the new LG CX OLED.  I found that the auto-dimming, ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) and self-protection algorithms were bugging me. 

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/8458-new-34-monitor-age-old-questionproblem/&do=findComment&comment=77226

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/24049-how-is-cakewalk-on-a-4k-monitor/&do=findComment&comment=198593

BTW, thanks for the prior thread links...very useful

4 hours ago, DCMG said:

Curious if you've used the curved monitor for any length of time while using your DAW. I get the intended purpose for gaming but wondering what it adds in DAW experience.

Thanks for all the input here. I've got a lot of options to look into.

For me, for such a wide monitor, the curve really helps to bring the edges closer to your vision, and stops you from having to lean in to see the edges properly.

It's not quite so necessary on a regular ultrawide rather than a super ultrawide like I have, but it does make a difference. The curve isn't as severe as you'd expect so you barely notice the curve after a while, but you do miss it when you sit in front of such a wide flat screen.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DCMG said:

No. It just seems like a good idea to reduce head motion. I also think I've seen large curved monitors recommended on this site who use them. 

About the curve...

I had the 55-inch (diagonal) LG OLED C6 curved screen on my DAWs for about two years. The curve for that one peaks at about 1.5-inches deep across its 48-inch width.   If it was two flat panels in a 'V' arrangement,  it calculates out to about a 3.4-degree angle. 

One advantage of curved screens is that it reduces the color/contrast falloff that's typical of IPS and VA technology panels when viewed an oblique angles. OLED panels don't have that falloff issue, so curves are wasted in that respect.  I specifically chose the Samsung Q80T QLED for its contrast consistency at oblique angle views. I still would rather have kept the flat LG CX were it not for its too-aggressive brightness limiter.  I have since learned that there is a way to overcome the CX ABL by delving into the service menus.   Oh well...

Once I went back from curved to flat, my brain had to re-adjust!  My eyes/brain had developed habit of making the curved top edges of app windows of the apps to look 'normal' to me.  When I went flat, it looked *wrong* for two days until I re-adjusted. 

In terms of sound, there was no difference to me in the interaction between the speakers and the screen.  That's not surprising, considering how mild the curvature is.

• Thanks 1

I have an Acer dm431k at the house and one at the office.  I love these things for both work and studio use.  4k running at 100% zoom is exactly like have 4 1080p monitors without the bezels.

At the time I got these, they were $299 each. During covid lockdowns they hardly available anywhere. I see now that there are 6 in stock in my local microcenter at $450 and b&h says they have them at $399.  These are sharp.and true ips panels.  One if mine has a few bad pixels right the very bottom but otherwise no problems.

I did a video on this topic on my youtube channel if you are interested: https://youtu.be/XBBWMGd-gj8