DAWbench podcast - Cakewalk DAW evolution, past, present, future

1 hour ago, TAFKAT said:

GMPI (Generalized Music Plugin Interface) ,  say what ?

Were you holding out on us, LOL  ?

Very interesting Noel, and much in the same vein as the ASIO v WASABI v WASAPI v WaveRT discussion , or we could even throw in BETA v VHS, but thats a whole other rabbit hole  :)

Not intentionally sorry ;) Two hours isnt long enough to cover 30+ years. I missed a few steps haha.
Here is a post about GMPI from 2004. It was an MMA working group and many high level industry professionals were part of the group. Its too bad that it never materialized since it we genuinely a forward thinking cross platform spec for plugins. with support from both DAW and plugin vendors. But we all know that merit doesn’t drive adoption necessarily.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I couldn’t afford to get my own PC until 92 so by the time I started using DAW’s it was already at Cakewalk V1 for Windows. I only used hardware synths prior to that, or 4 track tape lol.

I had this Fostex 280 with an add on which would stripe MTC timecode too tape so I could use the midi sync.
A zoom effects processor for reverb  🙂

Fostex280.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TAFKAT said:

GMPI (Generalized Music Plugin Interface) ,  say what ?

Were you holding out on us, LOL  ?

Imagine if it had become the prevalent standard... "GMPI instrument/plugin" is a mouthful. 😂

41 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Not intentionally sorry ;) Two hours isnt long enough to cover 30+ years. I missed a few steps haha.
Here is a post about GMPI from 2004. It was an MMA working group and many high level industry professionals were part of the group. Its too bad that it never materialized since it we genuinely a forward thinking cross platform spec for plugins. with support from both DAW and plugin vendors. But we all know that merit doesn’t drive adoption necessarily.

...on  second thought, maybe it should've become the prevalent standard, hard to pronounce acronym notwithstanding! :)

Edited by GreenLight
Added Noel quote
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You would be better off brushing up on your Brit English.
Meng grew up and studied at math at Cambridge, England. He speaks really fast with a Brit accent :) 

So does that mean it is a go :D

• Haha 1