Studio One 5.2 announced

cclarry

On 3/6/2021 at 4:42 AM, Tezza said:

I don't consider good quality sounds to be bloat, bad quality yes. You can always uninstall or choose not to install sounds but you can't do anything about the buckets of code inside the DAW.

But those are also things that can be added to any DAW via other market leaders and there are hard drives full of free stuff and paid stuff I'll never use.   What features are in the DAW are the reason to pick one DAW over another one on the market.

If no new features were needed at this stage, everyone would be flocking to Cakewalk, as it is free and very well featured.    I agree some features can feel like bloat.   But seriously try to use Sonar of 5 years ago vs Bandlab Cakewalk and it feels antiquated.  Just the theme editor feature alone is huge for those of us that are running custom themes.

Ask why anyone is actually using Studio One that is a Windows only user and I think you will find the answer comes down to features.  

Edited by Brian Walton

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Ask why anyone is actually using Studio One that is a Windows only user and I think you will find the answer comes down to features.  

Yup, this.

CbB is like an ex band mate that I'm still friends with. Maybe a collab or two over the years.

Full disclosure: I do have a 2013 MacBook Pro where I can run all of my multi-platform DAWs plus Logic X. In other words, I'm not a truly Windows only user.

Edited by Bapu

I find myself using both CbB and S1 as they both have features the other lacks,

I still prefer CbB for MIDI with the exception of a lack of a chord track. S1 is less convenient working with dragging MIDI in to plugins like Superior Drummer and EZ Bass and I have some issues with Orange Tree Guitars in S1 which could be system specific. 

S1 is better for audio (but I do miss the Pro-Channel).  I think the Melodyne integration is better.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:23 AM, Tezza said:

How do they continue to find so many "new features" all the time. Anyone buying any DAW these days is already going to get something that will probably take them years to master and have everything you could possibly think of for music making. Surely there is a ceiling on how many more "new features" can be incorporated into a DAW or at least those features that would actually be useful to the home music maker.

It's actually turning me off a bit. Everytime I see "new features" it says to me "more clutter" and "more complicated" and of course "more that can go wrong".

Now if they said they were including some fantastic new megagig library or synth with really stellar sounds, that might be interesting.

When you're missing lots of features relative to the competition, you can easily add in new features all the time.  Lots of these things are solved issues, and some of the features are just ported over from other products (i.e. the score editor that comes from Notion, etc.).  This makes it "easier" to develop and add them in.

When you have the feature set of a DAW like Cubase, it's a lot harder to just "add new features" unless you start dipping into market niches that Steinberg doesn't really target (i.e. Adding Clip Launchers and things of that nature).

Studio One is still a relatively young DAW, so they have a few years to add lots of features in updates and use as a selling point.  Those will become less and less impactful as the DAW matures further.

Studio One is okay, but I use it primarily as an "on the road" DAW on my laptop, though.  I don't really like the UX, but it gets the job done when I don't want to travel with dongles.

Edited by Maestro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

So who's got sphere and wants to spill the beans?

You'll only be disappointed.

Best to keep the hope that the news is actually worth the fuss alive for as long a possible.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, paulo said:

You'll only be disappointed.

Best to keep the hope that the news is actually worth the fuss alive for as long a possible.

Most of the whispers I've seen so far seem Show Page oriented. Which means nothing to me 🥺

Saw this on Reddit about it:

Editing note events in the Piano View is faster and easier than ever in Studio One 5.2. When editing Note events inside the Piano View, the Arrow Tool turns into a real “Smart Tool” at higher zoom levels—without ever having to switch tools!

In addition to selecting, moving and resizing note events using the Arrow Tool, the following additional functions can now be changed all with the same useful tool:

Note velocity

Mute/unmute event

Split note event

Split note event and part

Glue adjacent notes

New in Studio One 5.2, the Arranger Track lets you try arrangements on the fly before committing to a new playback order. The updated Arranger Track Inspector lets you quickly jump to different sections of your song from a quick view list. Simply double-click an Arranger Section while another section is playing and Studio One will seamlessly transition from one section to another—without skipping a beat! Also new to 5.2: you get even more robust live arrangement functionality with Arranger Tracks in the Show Page, in both Setlist view and Performance view!

Live arranging is available both from the Arranger Track timeline and the Arranger Track Inspector. When combined with loop playback mode and “Loop follows selection” enabled, you have the ultimate remix experimentation environment. Best of all, Arranger Sections can even be controlled from any hardware controller or Studio One Remote.

Use the new Patches View in Studio One 5.2 to see all the Patches for a given Player on an easy-to-read grid to quickly recall Patches for your virtual or real instruments, effectively turning Studio One into a powerful master (keyboard) controller. Or open the new Arranger View to see a grid of all available Arranger sections. Set each section to loop and Studio One turns into a powerful loop launcher!

Studio One 5.2 adds the Arranger Track to the Show Page, letting you experiment on the fly while you're on stage or live streaming from your studio. For each Arranger section in every Setlist song have a choice of five playback modes: Continue, Stop at End, Skip, Loop, or Loop and Continue; the last of which lets you repeat any section for a specific number of times before playback continues to the next Arranger Section.

New in Studio One 5.2, each setlist item can now be equipped with its own Arranger Track, letting you assign different Patches to the same Player for different sections of your song or turn your song into a dynamic and interactive loop performance!

New in Studio One 5.2, Chord Track information can now be transferred from your Song to your Show so you’ll never miss the next chord again!

New in Studio One 5.2, you can now use Studio One Remote 1.6 on your favorite mobile devices as a master controller for your live performance! Take the Performance View with you on stage to take charge of your Show. Best of all, multiple devices can connect to the same computer running Studio One so each player can control their own patches right from their mobile device

• Like 3

Things I hate about S1:

• Leaving monitoring on doubles the output level for virtual instruments.
  • Using solo track toggle (Alt+LMClick) makes midi drum track "stumbling in". I.e., some hits are doubled. Not always, though. Still irritating.
  • It's difficult to find a working combination of safe solo state when using busses. Not intuitive at all.
  • Unpredictable monitoring behavior on audio tracks. Sometimes it mutes audio during playback, regardless of Tape monitoring setting.
  • Sometimes clicking on a plugin in the Mix section just unfolds it in the FX slot instead of opening the plugin's UI.
  • Start and End markers must be set BEFORE you attempt to render a mixdown.

Other than that, I think it's a great program with a nice set of features.

35 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

Things I hate about S1:

• Leaving monitoring on doubles the output level for virtual instruments.
  • Using solo track toggle (Alt+LMClick) makes midi drum track "stumbling in". I.e., some hits are doubled. Not always, though. Still irritating.
  • It's difficult to find a working combination of safe solo state when using busses. Not intuitive at all.
  • Unpredictable monitoring behavior on audio tracks. Sometimes it mutes audio during playback, regardless of Tape monitoring setting.
  • Sometimes clicking on a plugin in the Mix section just unfolds it in the FX slot instead of opening the plugin's UI.
  • Start and End markers must be set BEFORE you attempt to render a mixdown.

Other than that, I think it's a great program with a nice set of features.

Yes, Studio One has its strengths but it also has its weaknesses. As it gets older it is not as stable or bug free as it used to be either.