Studio One 5.2 announced

cclarry

How do they continue to find so many "new features" all the time. Anyone buying any DAW these days is already going to get something that will probably take them years to master and have everything you could possibly think of for music making. Surely there is a ceiling on how many more "new features" can be incorporated into a DAW or at least those features that would actually be useful to the home music maker.

It's actually turning me off a bit. Everytime I see "new features" it says to me "more clutter" and "more complicated" and of course "more that can go wrong".

Now if they said they were including some fantastic new megagig library or synth with really stellar sounds, that might be interesting.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Now if they said they were including some fantastic new megagig library or synth with really stellar sounds, that might be interesting.

Well, that is actually the part I would be least interested in. That's something I would consider bloat.

I'd rather see new features, in the sense of better MPE integration and more fleshed out articulation management.

And though I don't use it; I would expect some added features for the show page.

6 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Well, that is actually the part I would be least interested in. That's something I would consider bloat.

I'd rather see new features, in the sense of better MPE integration and more fleshed out articulation management.

And though I don't use it; I would expect some added features for the show page.

I don't consider good quality sounds to be bloat, bad quality yes. You can always uninstall or choose not to install sounds but you can't do anything about the buckets of code inside the DAW.

3 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Are full license holders second class now? Good times. 

this is my sphere:

s-l300.jpg

That’s exactly how I feel. The way they are pushing subscription is a turn off to me, but so long as they never force it on people who prefer to buy, I will try to tune out the endless noise pushing subs I don’t need or want. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

The one feature I want is automation in the Project page. It’s such a brilliant concept let down by the strangest omission. 

I only tried the Project page for the first time this week. So I have not missed automation yet, but I am sure I will soon.

The sub is working out pretty well for me given I wanted both Notion and Studio One. 

3 hours ago, Marshall said:

That’s exactly how I feel. The way they are pushing subscription is a turn off to me, but so long as they never force it on people who prefer to buy, I will try to tune out the endless noise pushing subs I don’t need or want. 

They way every single DAW manufaturer wants to create their own social media hub and then introduce a subscription model to justify that is 100 times more annoying.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

My upgrade to SO4 cost ~£100; my upgrade to SO5 around two years later also cost ~£100.

Sphere membership currently costs £146.75/year.

If not being notified a few days early explicitly that a new minor version is being released (there was a something-big-is-coming-on-9th-march announcement on Twitter) is the difference, I'm OK with that.

(Yes, I know that's not the only difference - you also get Notion, expansion packs, exclusive videos/demos/tutorials, etc. with a Sphere membership. Subs are great in some circumstances; not so great in others. I personally prefer full licences; YMMV)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, antler said:

My upgrade to SO4 cost ~£100; my upgrade to SO5 around two years later also cost ~£100.

Sphere membership currently costs £146.75/year.

If not being notified a few days early explicitly that a new minor version is being released (there was a something-big-is-coming-on-9th-march announcement on Twitter) is the difference, I'm OK with that.

(Yes, I know that's not the only difference - you also get Notion, expansion packs, exclusive videos/demos/tutorials, etc. with a Sphere membership. Subs are great in some circumstances; not so great in others. I personally prefer full licences; YMMV)

The way they market Sphere you feel like you are getting more than you really are. It's still great if you have extremely limited time to be in your home studio but I don't know. I got along perfectly fine with version 3 up until now and I could have upgraded to it for $100 U.S.. There was a deal to upgrade to Studio One 5 for $100 that Larry posted here the other day and it ended before I got a chance to jump on it. I kind of regret that now. Normally the U.S. upgrade price is $150.

8 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

this is my sphere:

s-l300.jpg

Well, you only giving money to Presonus once, instead of for the rest of your life so...Guess which one Presonus will prioritize.

At least you're not required to offer billing information to try or demo products like you have to do with Adobe nowadays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I only tried the Project page for the first time this week. So I have not missed automation yet, but I am sure I will soon.

The sub is working out pretty well for me given I wanted both Notion and Studio One. 

project page could be brillant , but misses Auto and monitoring , if you use something like ARc or sonarworks , all your metering are affected  ...useless !!!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, Tezza said:

How do they continue to find so many "new features" all the time. Anyone buying any DAW these days is already going to get something that will probably take them years to master and have everything you could possibly think of for music making.

Sure, but that has pretty much been the business model for all "paid" DAWs for years.

Their marketing gurus have to add features on a regular basis in order to justify asking you to pay them for upgrades, or subscriptions.

You may recall that even Cakewalk under Gibson did so starting with Sonar Platinum, which basically tied their developers to a new release every month. If you want to see this, just take a look at the Sonar release archives and the "rolling updates" from 2015-2017. http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Rolling-Updates

Kind of refreshing how we get bug fixes, and occasionally a new feature, from the Cakewalk bakers for free now! Different business model entirely with the focus on bug fixes! :)

Cakewalk Rolling Updates.PNG

Edited by abacab

45 minutes ago, abacab said:

Sure, but that has pretty much been the business model for all "paid" DAWs for years.

Their marketing gurus have to add features on a regular basis in order to justify asking you to pay them for upgrades, or subscriptions.

You may recall that even Cakewalk under Gibson did so starting with Sonar Platinum, which basically tied their developers to a new release every month. If you want to see this, just take a look at the Sonar release archives and the "rolling updates" from 2015-2017. http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Rolling-Updates

Kind of refreshing how we get bug fixes, and occasionally a new feature, from the Cakewalk bakers for free now! Different business model entirely with the focus on bug fixes! :)

Cakewalk Rolling Updates.PNG

No DAW will ever match the beauty of those channel strips..., ever :)

• Like 2