Solved - Yamaha USB MIDI connections not working

Mildbill

Question

I use a Yamaha S90ES keyboard and a Yamaha Motif-Rack ES sound module. Both are installed in Windows 10 with current drivers, and each shows correctly in both Windows and Cakewalk. Both devices work correctly, including the instrument definitions, when communicating through 5-pin connections and a MIDISPORT 4 x 4. However, neither responds to Cakewalk when using USB connections to the DAW. I use either 5-pin or USB connections, but never both, and I am careful to match send/receive channels. Are there any suggestions for making these devices work while using the USB connections?

11 answers to this question

If you can see the usb-midi in Cakewalk it have to mean that there's no midi sent to Cakewalk.

First check manual if there are settings for usb-midi in the Yamaha hardware.

Second is using a midi-monitor to check the midiflow.

• Thanks 1

I did try the other driver mode. It didn't work for the Yamaha devices, and it messed up everything for my other devices. USB MIDI works well for my Akai, Roland and M Audio devices. I'll just stick with 5-pin Yamaha connections for now; they work reliably. Thank you for the suggestions.

Mild Bill. Glad you got it working. I have the ES Rack and Editor and had an S90es which I lost in a fire - lovely keyboard. Have you gotten the editor to work properly for the Rack so that you can make all the tweaks from your computer? I’ve set it up a few times, but this time it didn’t catch. 

11 hours ago, Mildbill said:

Kurre, buried in the utility menus, there were toggles that needed switching to USB. Both devices now work by USB, which opens up many more options. Thank you!

You're welcome.

Could i ask if you would vote my answer up. It's to the left with arrows over/under a zero.

I've never had a green best answer before. :)

Also would be a good idea to add (solved) to this topic title.

Thank you, Michael. I have not delved into the editor yet, but this is on the list of things to explore. I picked up the rack unit for live work, and it has been a good match with an Akai Advance 61. I love the action of the S90ES, but I don't miss lugging it around. In the home studio, I am now in a new world, having finally moved on to a Windows 10 world, leaving behind Sonar 4 Producer on an optimized XP system. Hopefully live music will return this year!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mildbill said:

Thank you, Michael. I have not delved into the editor yet, but this is on the list of things to explore. I picked up the rack unit for live work, and it has been a good match with an Akai Advance 61. I love the action of the S90ES, but I don't miss lugging it around. In the home studio, I am now in a new world, having finally moved on to a Windows 10 world, leaving behind Sonar 4 Producer on an optimized XP system. Hopefully live music will return this year!

Understood. I bought the MOX8 (14kilos) with rolling softcase years back, but still hard to move around. Now have a P121 and MX61 for live use triggering VST’s. But alas, no live gigs at the moment. Have a good day.