Help wanted for mixing

Danny Yell

Hi, I tried to mix my own (old school rock and roll) music but I cannot make the depth I hear in most productions.

I wonder if someone could mix it and send it back in cakewalk so I can see what I did wrong or could be better. So just with the tools in Cakewalk but if some reverb plug in is much better I like to hear that too.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you.

https://youtu.be/75lzzIx7Zsc

• Like 1

It's sounds OK but the instruments seem too far back in the mix, not very punchy for rock. Possibly need to push the envelope with compression and limiting.  And that piano glissando? is 2x louder than anything else it frightened my cat... 

• Great Idea 1

Mix is close but in my furry opinion the vox is to loud or upfront, it needs bring back by 2 or 3 dB along with some compression to level it out a little without losing too much of the dynamic..

If you are after the old school Rock and Roll sound then you are pretty much there with the instrumentation, if you want a more modern sound then as suggested above some punchy parallel compression on the drums and bass will add that depth.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:49 PM, Danny Yell said:

Hi, I tried to mix my own (old school rock and roll) music but I cannot make the depth I hear in most productions.

I wonder if someone could mix it and send it back in cakewalk so I can see what I did wrong or could be better. So just with the tools in Cakewalk but if some reverb plug in is much better I like to hear that too.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you.

https://youtu.be/75lzzIx7Zsc

'Eyyy Danny,

Thought I'd take a stab at achieving that depth you were after.

I don't have the time right now to do a full remix in Cakewalk, but I've been 'mastering' an album's worth of tunes for a local fella, and figured while I'm in stereo mixdown mode.

Worst case... I get some free practice -Lolz

Had to throw it in my Dropbox due to the size of the mp3.

- Corona Blues -

If you can get ears on it and hit me with some crits, it'd be appreciated.

Lovely day to you guys (and gals),

Ron

Edited by Inthorns

On 3/7/2021 at 12:23 PM, Wookiee said:

Mix is close but in my furry opinion the vox is to loud or upfront, it needs bring back by 2 or 3 dB along with some compression to level it out a little without losing too much of the dynamic..

If you are after the old school Rock and Roll sound then you are pretty much there with the instrumentation, if you want a more modern sound then as suggested above some punchy parallel compression on the drums and bass will add that depth.

I think what Wookie said is spot on - but good track, enjoyed it

Nigel