The delusional world of Linux.

kitekrazy

From the OP...

On 3/30/2019 at 4:14 PM, kitekrazy said:

Let me know when Avid starts making the industry standard available for Linux.  The options for Linux are lame. Let me know when that famous producer starts using it.

:)

Lol at necroing old threads. Anyway, I’ll jump in Jim mentioned already, while I do run an Uber PC for my studio and still think Core Audio in OSX is far superior, windows 10 does the business very well.

I ran a BBS in the early 90s and ran it on Linux beta testing for Linus in the beta days. I also ran it for my Neverwinter Nights server for a while around 2002-2004. Is It really mainstream yet?. He’ll no!, not for everyone by a long shot. It’s a professional and geeks platform, very small share, end of story. Good luck to you if you want to play with it :). 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

if there is no way to run it natively use wine. but always look for a way to run it natively first

and also why do you hate Linux, you windows users and us Linux users have to stick together to overcome apple.
i like Linux because it is light and versatile where windows and mac are not.

and there is nothing wrong with techie people, without them computing as a whole would instantly fall from grace.

lets be honest, every OS has its flaws, especially mac OS and free BSD.

linux-mac-windows.jpg

UcCRo2aslHGlqqQzUuhrEqCBQpt7AxoWUvaWy-2808Q.png

Edited by Bonzo Dimduly

4 hours ago, Bonzo Dimduly said:

and also why do you hate Linux, you windows users and us Linux users have to stick together to overcome apple.
i like Linux because it is light and versatile where windows and mac are not.

and there is nothing wrong with techie people, without them computing as a whole would instantly fall from grace.

lets be honest, every OS has its flaws, especially mac OS and free BSD.

Let's see here...

You just joined this forum 4 hours ago so that you could necro an old thread about Linux, LOL!!! 🤣

Must be a slow day wherever you are! BTW way this is generally a music forum, not a computer forum. But most of us do use computers. That's where Cakewalk comes in. And it's Windows only, no Mac or Linux.

Since you apparently have plenty of spare time, please feel try to try to take Cakewalk for a spin on Linux/ Wine and let us know how that works out... ;)

I want to share some things I discovered recently. I have installed Linux on my SSD USB stick. So I use linux as well, only sometimes though.

So Bitwig announced CLAP last year and CLAP can be used on Linux as well. I was checking what tools are there available. And I found a DAW that nobody really knows but looks good. It can be used on Linux, Mac, and Win.

https://www.zrythm.org/en/index.html

There are also some developers who makes plugins for Linux, such as Overtone DSP, they seem like they are not making any new plugins for windows anymore but their plugins are CPU friendly. I have some of theirs for windows.

I believe as there will be more CLAP plugins for the future, there should be more things available on Linux.

CLAP related tools and information can be found here

https://clapdb.tech/

Edited by Quick Math
  • Like 2

I am in IT. I work on Linux systems. Not sure I would ever want to use them for personal chores or a DAW. But thats just me. I feel the old Linux FOSS hippie myth sort of died about 15 or so years ago. Now it's very much used for commercial purposes by some very rich corporations selling services and software built on top of it. But Eric Raymonds Cathedral and Bazaar was a cool book for its time.

Edited by telecode 101

4 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

Not sure I would ever want to use them for personal chores or a DAW. But thats just me.

I'm in IT as well, but not in Linux support. I've tried it at home on and off over many years, and even built several Linux desktops. Also set it up in the office on a couple of obsolete PCs to use as Samba file servers for our team. Linux is a the leading file server or mainframe OS, and it's great for that!

I even tried using Ubuntu/Mint as my daily driver desktop PC for a couple of years (but not for my DAW). Finally went back to Windows.

I love Windows 10 for my personal desktop PC! :)

The one I love is that Windows is spying on me as the person that just said this to me is on his/her Smartphone with location services on.  Hey it is okay for Google to take my information and everything about me but how dare MS! 

I tried Ubuntu several times on older PC and heck I could see using it. But for music production I just don't see the hassle. YMMV

• Like 1

Several years back, I converted an obsolescent old Dell laptop I bought as surplus from work for thirty quid to run on Linux Mint.

It actually ran really well and I used it as a music server for a while. Then I heard about a local charity looking for computers and they were keen to make use of it, so I happily handed it over.

They're probably still using it!

😂

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 3/7/2022 at 7:09 PM, msmcleod said:

I'm sure I've said this before, but the major three stumbling blocks for using Linux as an audio platform are:

• Lack of professional Audio Driver support
  • Lack of native plugin support
  • Lack of supported DAWs  ( Reaper / MixBus being the main exceptions )

FWIW - I love Linux as a platform... just not as a DAW platform.

Linux is no longer an underdog in music creation circles and is much much better than the current Windows offerings, which are absolutely terrible.

Windows is a complete mess, updates all the time, breaks all sorts of functionality, it is nothing short of a night mare.  My experience with windows of late has been due to my daughter becoming interested in music, she plays piano, sings and wanted me to help her set up her computer, she was always a mac user up until lately when she decided to use windows, this decision came about due to her macbook air M1 lasting no time, it just made it outside warranty and required a new logic board at half the price of the original, so she bought a Dell. Setting up and navigating around windows is a mess compared to how straight forward the mac was, and Linux is just as easy as the mac given all the flavours and layouts now available in Linux. She got herself an SSL12 usb interface, and pianoteq, both of which work in Linux, and are very easy to set up, the SSL does not even require drivers to be installed, I let my daughter install everything herself on her windows laptop so she would understand how it all comes together, it was not a straightforward task at all. I have left her to figure out how to disable the onboard microphone as every time we do as soon as we reboot it is back on again, it is also so sensitive / spy ware capable it can hear anyone speaking in any room in the house, it clips with us whispering it is so sensitive, no such trouble on Linux, Linux is more than ready for music production, and is also what a lot of users that are into free software use, those users were also looking forward to seeing Cakewalk on Linux, I for one would pay for it, we have Reaper, it would be so so good to have Cakewalk Daw available on Linux. Lots of people are ditching apple, if you do not know, look how apple have downgraded the M2 chip in comparison to the M1, says it all, they do not give a dam about their customers, its all about the money,  google it, apple used to provide a solid product, those days are no more, so if people jump to intel based computers, and discover the mess windows is, their next step will be Linux, and no Cakewalk available is an absolute marketing disaster, apple and windows are pushing people over to Linux because of the crap hardware one produces and the crap OS the other pushes, you could not dream this up, I think when the people behind this great Daw look back they will see it too, the lost revenue this mistake will cost will go down in history, its the perfect time for Cakewalk to support Linux, believe it or not.

It is amazing that I can now give a Linux laptop to a young girl, and look on as she can navigate and use it to create music with half the effort and none of the hassle she has had with mac and windows, I hope the people behind Cakewalk get themselves a laptop with Linux and have a go, using Reaper,  it will be the best thing you ever did for Cakewalk and the growing home and pro recording industry, seriously, try it.  Again, I would buy Cakewalk if it were available for Linux, as it is Reaper is the king on Linux, its priced well, and it just works, why not Cakewalk, I have tried Ardour, its not for me, it could also end in the morning, not enough invested in it and no real long term plans as I see it, unlike Cakewalk, which is a true survivor.

Anyway, I hope I have not upset anyone, this is just my experience, and that of my daughter who is not new to computers but new to music recording, even she sees it, I am not a poster, I actually only signed up here and this is my first post, and all because I see the potential for Cakewalk on Linux as a game changer and can not believe the marketing people behind Cakewalk can not, truly mind numbing.

Kind regards to all, I shall live in hope that one day Cakewalk will be available on Linux.Linux is no longer an underdog in music creation circles and is much much better than the current Windows offerings, which are absolutely terrible.

Windows is a complete mess, updates all the time, breaks all sorts of functionality, it is nothing short of a night mare.  My experience with windows of late has been due to my daughter becoming interested in music, she plays piano, sings and wanted me to help her set up her computer, she was always a mac user up until lately when she decided to use windows, this decision came about due to her macbook air M1 lasting no time, it just made it outside warranty and required a new logic board at half the price of the original, so she bought a Dell. Setting up and navigating around windows is a mess compared to how straight forward the mac was, and Linux is just as easy as the mac given all the flavours and layouts now available in Linux. She got herself an SSL12 usb interface, and pianoteq, both of which work in Linux, and are very easy to set up, the SSL does not even require drivers to be installed, I let my daughter install everything herself on her windows laptop so she would understand how it all comes together, it was not a straightforward task at all. I have left her to figure out how to disable the onboard microphone as every time we do as soon as we reboot it is back on again, it is also so sensitive / spy ware capable it can hear anyone speaking in any room in the house, it clips with us whispering it is so sensitive, no such trouble on Linux, Linux is more than ready for music production, and is also what a lot of users that are into free software use, those users were also looking forward to seeing Cakewalk on Linux, I for one would pay for it, we have Reaper, it would be so so good to have Cakewalk Daw available on Linux. Lots of people are ditching apple, if you do not know, look how apple have downgraded the M2 chip in comparison to the M1, says it all, they do not give a dam about their customers, its all about the money,  google it, apple used to provide a solid product, those days are no more, so if people jump to intel based computers, and discover the mess windows is, their next step will be Linux, and no Cakewalk available is an absolute marketing disaster, apple and windows are pushing people over to Linux because of the crap hardware one produces and the crap OS the other pushes, you could not dream this up, I think when the people behind this great Daw look back they will see it too, the lost revenue this mistake will cost will go down in history, its the perfect time for Cakewalk to support Linux, believe it or not.

It is amazing that I can now give a Linux laptop to a young girl, and look on as she can navigate and use it to create music with half the effort and none of the hassle she has had with mac and windows, I hope the people behind Cakewalk get themselves a laptop with Linux and have a go, using Reaper,  it will be the best thing you ever did for Cakewalk and the growing home and pro recording industry, seriously, try it.  Again, I would buy Cakewalk if it were available for Linux, as it is Reaper is the king on Linux, its priced well, and it just works, why not Cakewalk, I have tried Ardour, its not for me, it could also end in the morning, not enough invested in it and no real long term plans as I see it, unlike Cakewalk, which is a true survivor.

Anyway, I hope I have not upset anyone, this is just my experience, and that of my daughter who is not new to computers but new to music recording, even she sees it, I am not a poster, I actually only signed up here and this is my first post, and all because I see the potential for Cakewalk on Linux as a game changer and can not believe the marketing people behind Cakewalk can not, truly mind numbing.

Kind regards to all, I shall live in hope that one day Cakewalk will be available on Linux.

• Meh 1