The delusional world of Linux.

kitekrazy

On 5/21/2020 at 1:44 PM, oneofmany said:

Windows X will probably offer this concept on their new core, where various modules will be allowed to run Win32/64 via self-contained instances. Would not be surprised to see it. 

Were you referring to Windows 10X? I couldn't locate anything about "Windows X".

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10x-vs-windows-10/

• 4 weeks later...

And if you could get a really stripped down version of windoze with none of the totally useless bloat -then there'd be even less folks even THINKING about Linux...And even though W10Pro let's you do a lot under the hood, it is still buggy. crashy, and full of shite! I am not advocating for Linux, mind you, just saying MS really should look at light versions that serious users of PC's running audio and video work (and not worrying about games compatibility and performance, or surfing the web) can use.

As they won't, then, well, users will try to find alternatives that do. They are certainly not delusional!

On 5/20/2020 at 6:46 PM, StudioNSFW said:

Troubleshooting on a PeeCee: Get error message.  Put error message in Google.  Find link to the hotfix offered in the Windows KB.

Troubleshooting on a Mac: Get error message.  Put error message in Google. Find article in Apple KB on what setting needs to be changed.

Troubleshooting on a Linux box: Get error message.  Put error message in Google. Discover how many people have had the same error and have asked how to clear it the  community forums.  Find possible solution halfway through a thread on page 4.  Try to update library mentioned in post. Discover it has dependencies downstream. Use package manager to update it all.  Solution doesn't work.  Continue to read thread and discover it didn't work for a lot of other people either. Continue to search. find another possible answer. rinse, repeat.  eventually get the program working, but another program had a dependency on that old gcc+ library and now needs to be updated to work with the replacement.  reinstall app using package manager.  Test both, now they work! 

Super simple!

If I want to fsck around with computers I'll have a girlfriend sit on my Mac mini. 

Don't forget that reading a typical man page for a linux command will take a year...

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2020 at 11:27 AM, Øyvind Skald said:

That means it is better to write a Linux app than "native" .net app.

Depends what language you like writing in...

As an aside, a .NET Core app will run in both Windows and Linux. You can't use WPF for UIs and expect them to run on Linux though; maybe a cross platform library like Qt, though they just don't 'feel' quite right.

• Like 1

The simple answer is, if you don't like Windows and think it's bloated, don't use Windows. If you want a Unix-based OS either go with Linux or, if you want more app support, go with a Mac that runs some variant of OSX.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Linux is a failure in the consumer market because it's a support nightmare. It has bad backward and forward compatibility, which causes an influx of support costs after machines (or software packages) are sold - as things eventually start to break when users upgrade their destroy, drivers fall out of support, software falls out of support, and OEMs stop producing updated support software for components. 

Linux only works in environments where LTS destros running atop certified hardware is viable - i.e. Enterprise and Education, Medical and Science, Engineering, Post Production, etc. Even still, those co.panies often have specific distos that they've certified (often Red Hat/CentOS, SUSE, and Ubuntu LTS).

This is why Apple does not license macOS out.

Windows is really the only OS that has been able to achieve what it has, becausMicrosoft doesn't break things constantly at the system level, and it was engineered specifically to work in this way - since the days of DOS this was always the case. 

Reliability, in this fashion, is key to co sumer market penetration. 

I do think Bitwig is legit, it is just overshadowed by Ableton Live, which is the Pro Tools of the EDM market. 

But that doesn't help much, because Linux is so bad when it comes to other software segments. Video Editing, for example, is another weak area where the choices are very limited (or require a higher end system, like Resolve).

If you actually step back and look at things, even macOS is pretty barren for choices in some niches. They just happen to have stocked up in the bigger market segments 😉

The only popular macOS-only DAW is Logic. Windows has several capable DAWs that are only available on that platform. 

-----

The mistake Linux fans make is in assuming cost is a barrier, when the reality is that the ecosystem and convenience of competing platforms is more than worth the $99 for a Windows Home license, or whatever (even cheaper) markup the OEM adds to put it on their machines. 

Average person doesn't care if they can see the code. They just know that software they bought for $300 15 years ago on Windows, while software from 7 years ago would have you running an equally old distro to function in most cases (or hunt down tons of dependencies, or recompile, etc.).

The alleged benefits aren't worth limiting yourself. 

Plus, Apple has stepped in to fill the void that Linux gave away to it, with OS X. 

27 minutes ago, Cakewalk User said:

The mistake Linux fans make is in assuming cost is a barrier, when the reality is that the ecosystem and convenience of competing platforms is more than worth the $99 for a Windows Home license, or whatever (even cheaper) markup the OEM adds to put it on their machines. 

Average person doesn't care if they can see the code. They just know that software they bought for $300 15 years ago on Windows, while software from 7 years ago would have you running an equally old distro to function in most cases (or hunt down tons of dependencies, or recompile, etc.).

The alleged benefits aren't worth limiting yourself. 

Plus, Apple has stepped in to fill the void that Linux gave away to it, with OS X. 

Captain Obious.jpg

• 1 year later...

I came across this topic and wanted to respond. I am now a Chrome OS (Flex) user and it performs waaaay better than Windows and even Mac OS. The Linux support is incredible and I am running this on an $800 machine that was struggling to run Windows. Linux doesn't eat up your CPU/GPU in the background and that makes it incredible for a video editor like me to use. I have found though that despite the Linux community being incredible, unfortunately there are a surprising number of developers who don't have any vision for Linux. In general, I totally get why! But when Linux has changed to no longer be a very "techy" thing and OS's like Chrome OS have significant advantages of any other OS and can run very powerful Linux apps, I don't understand why developers don't support that. Chrome OS is popular in schools obviously, but there is a market emerging and growing rapidly of people using Chrome OS in a very professional sense and this is what I don't understand. By developing for Linux (specifically Chrome OS), it is kind of future proofing. There is a user base for a daw on Linux/Chrome OS debian and if Cakewalk was made available then you would have a monopoly in the free daw market. 

Unless you're running a mess of a machine, Windows 10 does not crash constantly.

Why in the world would one choose to move to Linux as a serious DAW platform?

It's like taking a 20-year step backward in time.

What advantage would it offer?

Running Windows 10, we have machines capable of yielding 1ms total round-trip latency.

Running Windows 10, we have machines capable of delivering 4000 simultaneous stereo voices of disk-streaming polyphony.

We currently reap the benefits of ~30 years of PC DAW development.

I put Linux based DAWs in the same light as building a Hackintosh.

Sure... it's a "technical-puzzle" that can be fun to solve... but it's not a real Mac.

A Linux based DAW is decades behind in infrastructure/development/support/etc. 

It's just not worth a developer's time/effort... to develop something that's lacking from the start... and has limited profitability.

• Like 4

I'm sure I've said this before, but the major three stumbling blocks for using Linux as an audio platform are:

• Lack of professional Audio Driver support
  • Lack of native plugin support
  • Lack of supported DAWs  ( Reaper / MixBus being the main exceptions )

FWIW - I love Linux as a platform... just not as a DAW platform.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Unless you're running a mess of a machine, Windows 10 does not crash constantly.

I jumped from XP to Windows 7 then to Windows 10. As much as I loved XP, I don't miss it. No matter how lean and clean you ran your system, something got corrupted. It was general routine maintenance to format and reinstall XP about every year or so. It was as if there was a memory leak or something that slowly corrupted it over time.

I've never had to do that with Windows 7 or 10. I'm still running my initial install of Windows 10 that I did from disc 6 or 7 years ago IIRC? I just let it do it's updates and it does it's thing and it's happy. There has been a couple of times the update caused some flaky behavior, but they were aware of it and resolved it very quickly.

I really can't complain about Windows since 7. A friend of mine ran Sonar on Vista and ME and never had trouble. People are always worried about privacy and resist doing updates, but in my experience, if you just let it do what it wants it actually runs really well. They already have everything they need to know about you the split millisecond you get on to the net the first time from any PC on your home network.

Microsoft and Google aren't the ones you really need to worry about. It's the people hiding in the shadows that steel the info they collect by way of you installing a virus or tricking you in to giving it to them that are the problem. MS and G seem to do their best to try and block those people. 

At least that's how I see it. IMO.

• Like 3