Steinberg to go dongle-free - Not a Deal

pbognar

2 minutes ago, backwoods said:

I'm picking they move to a cloud system like protools with ilok cloud or reason that used to use codemeter

You may be right...

image.png.aa97063ab3a603f7270965830cf7fe75.png

Edited by pbognar
double image
  • Like 2

Back in the day it was rare to see a dongle thread go by without some idiot making a stupid double entendre joke. I guess those days are over, especially as some of you are about to lose your dongle. 

And I agree that this is a welcome move. 

5 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Back in the day it was rare to see a dongle thread go by without some idiot making a stupid double entendre joke. I guess those days are over, especially as some of you are about to lose your dongle. 

And I agree that this is a welcome move. 

Don't worry about that. Some people are still rocking upwards of seven dongles on a single pc. That's a ***** and a half.

16 hours ago, abacab said:

That dongle was the main reason I didn't switch to Cubase when Gibson shut Cakewalk down.

Oh well, better late for them than never! Got a good deal on Studio One though...

I wonder if Steinberg will allow 2 machines.  Their DAW is one of the few tied to one machine unless you move the dongle.  I have 3 USB elicensers.  I wonder if the decision came from Yamaha who owns both Steinberg and eLicenser. 

Other than my initial outrage at having to pay extra to make the software that I had just paid quite a lot for actually work, it's never been a problem for me.

(watch it go and break now)

Its not even close to being the main problem with buying Steinberg IMO.

20 hours ago, abacab said:

That dongle was the main reason I didn't switch to Cubase when Gibson shut Cakewalk down.

Me too. Well... that and the fact that I fancied the look of a FaderPort and wanted the DAW with the best support.

1 minute ago, antler said:

Me too. Well... that and the fact that I fancied the look of a FaderPort and wanted the DAW with the best support.

Tightest support = Studio One /Reaper/Mixbus/Mixbus 32C

OK Support = CbB, requires reset to SONAR/Cakewalk mode

Weak Support (flakey) = ProTools 2020, works most of the time, but requires reset of device occasionally when in required HUI mode.

I have not tried it in Cubase, Logic X, or Digital Performer yet. I won't even waste my time on Mixcraft 9 or Samplitude X5 as I never really use those.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Weak Support (flakey) = ProTools 2020, works most of the time, but requires reset of device occasionally when in required HUI mode.

I have not tried it in Cubase, Logic X, or Digital Performer yet. I won't even waste my time on Mixcraft 9 or Samplitude X5 as I never really use those.

Thanks Bapu. I actually went with Studio One when Sonar started to sink. Didn't know that Reaper/Mixbus had good support too; the workflow in SO suits me though so it's all good from my point of view.

1 minute ago, antler said:

Thanks Bapu. I actually went with Studio One when Sonar started to sink. Didn't know that Reaper/Mixbus had good support too; the workflow in SO suits me though so it's all good from my point of view.

Yep, I'm SO centric now too. I am working ProTools for a project. Strange days.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Mixcraft - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF1zbODj2-Q&list=PLofp4liZQx9uaC7zGgwVa6LzwBhEMpgPC&index=2