AIR Drum Synth 500 93% off - $9.99

Reid Rosefelt

1 hour ago, RummieGit said:

My interface is from M-Audio, Fast Track Ultra 8R. The interface is a bit older but still serves its purpose.The drivers have not been updated for a few years, but still work fine under Win10 for recording and playback, for example. But maybe this is where the bug is???

Thanks a lot for your tips.  I will report back to the forum soon..

By any chance does your system have a built in intel / realtek soundcard or similar on the board? If so maybe disconnect the M-Audio, Fast Track Ultra 8R and see if the software after reboot picks up and uses that internal soundcard? This would discount the M-Audio as the issue maybe or maybe not :D

Edited by aidan o driscoll

Then again, I wouldn't expend too much energy on troubleshooting an audio interface for a $10 plugin, if everything else is working acceptably with it! 😉

AIR has been notorious lame recently regarding support and bug fixes. Drum Synth 500 originally had an MSRP of $199, but online retailers have been listing it at $129 -$149.

Since they appear now to be dumping it for $9.99, I doubt that they have many tech support engineers sitting around to deal with compatibility issues. I  realize that may sound cynical, but I have been waiting for several years for usability updates for the AIR instrument collection that I own. Their stuff is a great buy with good sounds, if it works. But it's cheap enough to toss if it doesn't.

Good luck!

• Like 1

@abacab  

thanks for the link to the M-Audio drivers. I am using the 6.0.10 driver dated August 8, 2011.  Oh ... 10 years old!! The more recent 6.1.8 and 6.1.9 drivers are not recommended by M-Audio for win10. Yes, and certainly I'm not going to buy a new interface for an inexpensive plugin. Especially if it works fine otherwise. The crash code I will still look for and test.

@aidan o driscoll

The internal sound card I have enabled in Cakewalk by bandlab. But even with the "Generic low latency ASIO-driver/Realtek" standalone version of the plug does not open. I will work with the plugin in my DAW and contact AIR-Music service if needed.

Thanks for the tips and helpful support. Have a nice day.

• Like 1

@abacab  and  @aidan o driscoll

I would like to inform you briefly that I have found the error in the standalone file /AIR Drum Synth 500.  There was a conflict between the Steinberg driver (ASIO Generic Lower Latency) and the ASIO driver of my M-Audio interface. Probably the DrumSynth wanted to start with the Steinberg driver and searched the driver in my interface in vain.

In the end I am very happy now.

Thanks again for your help and
best regards
RGit

1 hour ago, RummieGit said:

@abacab  and  @aidan o driscoll

I would like to inform you briefly that I have found the error in the standalone file /AIR Drum Synth 500.  There was a conflict between the Steinberg driver (ASIO Generic Lower Latency) and the ASIO driver of my M-Audio interface. Probably the DrumSynth wanted to start with the Steinberg driver and searched the driver in my interface in vain.

In the end I am very happy now.

Thanks again for your help and
best regards
RGit

Hey RGit,

Many others have discovered that if you are using ASIO, you should only have ONE version of ASIO installed on your machine, to avoid conflicts. Some hosts have a hard time making a distinction if they have more that one choice.

That Steinbug generic thingy got my Cakewalk all upset once, as I already had installed an M-Audio ASIO driver. Steinbug software seems to install that driver along with their demo software for some reason. On a side note, I use ASIO4ALL on my laptop with the on-board Realtek audio chip, but as a tip, I would caution against mixing that one with a real ASIO driver on the same machine as well.

Glad you got it sorted!