AIR Drum Synth 500 93% off - $9.99

Reid Rosefelt

I'm always afraid when I list something that Larry has already done it.  Well I searched and couldn't find it.  And this is the last day. 

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/studio-tools/air-drum-synth-500

This looks pretty cool to me for $10. ($9 if you count Deluxe Bux)  It's nice to see AIR coming out with new stuff.   (I'm assuming it's new.)   As far as I know this came out a year ago.

I bet it would be very easy to set this up so it would work with all the Groove Monkee stuff. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Nice link.  A lot of good stuff in there.

Yeah, I went ahead and grabbed the Drum Synth 500 at $9.99 after watching a few video tutorials. Electronic drums are really not my thing, and I'm pretty well covered with acoustic drums.

But the features that I thought might be handy to have for $10 are:

1. The two Sampler "channels", that let you import your own sample folders. And then you can play them forward, reverse, and looped, as well as select the playback start point.

2. The last four "channels" [Toms, Percussion, Sampler #1, Sampler #2] allow you to assign a note range to play them back as a tuned pitches.

3. The Toms and Percussion channels are FM synthesis based, so might be some flexibility for creative sound design.

4. The audio output defaults to a stereo Master pair, but you can enable discreet audio from the plugin for each channel to your DAW (and mute the Master) for further mixing and FX.

It also comes with some 50 kits, 500 presets, and 500 MIDI files (the MIDI files are not mentioned in the user guide, so I assume you will need to use a DAW to preview and trigger them, as there is no on-board sequencer included here).

5 minutes ago, abacab said:

2. The last four "channels" [Toms, Percussion, Sampler #1, Sampler #2] allow you to assign a note range to play them back as a tuned pitches.

The last time that I saw Rush live in concert, there was an amazing drum solo from Neil Peart (RIP) that blew me away. In addition  to his legendary acoustic kit, he was using electronic triggers on his kit to play synthesizers or samplers and all kinds of crazy sh*t I'd never heard before. Jaw on floor after! 🤪

So I'm all for channeling my inner Neil Peart inspiration into this cheesy AIR electronic drum instrument. Doubt I'll even get close, but it might be fun to try! :)

• Great Idea 1

On 3/7/2021 at 6:58 AM, Vernon Barnes said:

I don't know why I am thinking about this, pure GAS, I have NI Battery, Arturia Spark, D16's 909 and several others and I have seldom used them, but only $9.99........ 🤪

This is a drum synth, not a drum sampler - though it does have two sampler slots.

Comparing this to NI Battery is like comparing DrumSynth 500 to Strike 2.

D16's 909 is a Synthesized recreation of a specific drum kit, so a bit different.

DrumSynth 500 is basically comparable to the Drum Synths in Native Instruments Maschine software.  I think Falcon 2 has Drum Synths, as well.  They actually added this plug-in to the Akai MPC 2.9 software to compete with Maschine 2 in that area 😉 I wouldn't be surprised if it was developed for this purpose (and released as a plug-in to further monetize it).It's worth $9.99.  Not sure it's worth the MSRP, though.  You can get Maschine 2 for less than $149 (via bundle with an M32 Keyboard) and that's the price point of sound design tools like Steinberg Backbone, which are simply better pickups if you're into sound design for Drums (and other stuff).

Buy at $50 or less.  Skip at $50 or more and invest in something else, IMO.  Skip if you already have the MPC 2 Software, since you're likely doing your beat making there if you use Cakewalk as a main DAW, anyways.

• Like 2

Hi dear forum members,

I am new here in the forum. And please excuse my English.
I purchased the VST instrument AIR Drumsynth500 at ProducerSpot and installed it. The plugin runs OK in Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Unfortunately there is a problem with the standalone version. The instrument disappears from the monitor shortly after I click on the .exe file. Through the software the settings (drivers, outputs etc.) are not adjustable. The program crashes.

Restarting the PC and reinstalling the software did not bring any success.

I would be glad if someone could help me.

Best regards

RummieGit

5 hours ago, RummieGit said:

Hi dear forum members,

I purchased the VST instrument AIR Drumsynth500 at ProducerSpot and installed it. The plugin runs OK in Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Unfortunately there is a problem with the standalone version. The instrument disappears from the monitor shortly after I click on the .exe file. Through the software the settings (drivers, outputs etc.) are not adjustable. The program crashes.

Best regards RummieGit

@RummieGit Did you install it via next next defaults and accepted what it said about where it installed?

If so .. try this. Uninstall it but this time go custom route to select what folder it installs to. For example I have all my audio apps installed in c:\audio apps and audio data like VSTs installed in  c:\audio data\vst plugins64

If you go this route make sure you add the new folders in CW prefs, vst settings so it can find the AIR Drumsynth 500 vst.

I am only proposing this because maybe it is getting installed in program files or somewhere that security issues get in the way. Its a long shot

Edited by aidan o driscoll

6 hours ago, RummieGit said:

Hi dear forum members,

Best regards

RummieGit

Did you get a crash code, of just a "poof" disappear suddenly gone? Here is a small free utility for Windows that may show what the application fault was. https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

The crashes information is extracted from the .wer files created by the Windows Error Reporting (WER) component of the operating system every time that a crash is occurred. AppCrashView also allows you to easily save the crashes list to text/csv/html/xml file.

When running as standalone, a synth program usually needs direct access to your system's MIDI and audio drivers. When used as a plugin, the DAW host provides that.

DS500 runs OK standalone here on Windows 10. I can access the settings (gear icon) and choose my MIDI input and audio settings.

What hardware and drivers is your PC using for MIDI and Audio? Perhaps it had an error when accessing them on startup?

@aidan o driscoll, I installed the program from the download folder (C disk) to the folder selected by the program: C-Programs-VstPlugnis. The vst file and the standalone file are both in the selected folder.The standalone file only has a size on 511 KB. Seems very small to me.

Tried a reinstall to another newly created folder on C: Audio and VST.

Unfortunately, after pressing the .exe file/Standalone, the program appears only briefly on the monitor. (Aside: the icon of the file is white, without colored symbol). When trying to adjust the settings (gear icon) the program freezes and there is a hint: "keine Rückmeldung" - no feedback" - and then the program crashes.

@abacab, I will look for the crash code shortly and also try the free utility.

My interface is from M-Audio, Fast Track Ultra 8R. The interface is a bit older but still serves its purpose.The drivers have not been updated for a few years, but still work fine under Win10 for recording and playback, for example. But maybe this is where the bug is???

Thanks a lot for your tips.  I will report back to the forum soon..

56 minutes ago, RummieGit said:

My interface is from M-Audio, Fast Track Ultra 8R. The interface is a bit older but still serves its purpose.The drivers have not been updated for a few years, but still work fine under Win10 for recording and playback, for example. But maybe this is where the bug is???

Not saying anything except those are some very old drivers for that Ultra. I had an old M-Audio FW 410 that I finally retired last year as the last driver version released for that was for Windows 7. It technically would work for me under Windows 10, but I occasionally got BSODs caused by the M-Audio driver.

Found this regarding the Ultra drivers. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Fast-Track-Ultra-8R-Drivers