Audio Routing - PEEL

sadicus

You're referring specifically to this part?

PEEL can route the vocals to a separate track in your DAW [1]

[1] Note: not all DAWs support sending audio from PEEL’s second output to its own audio track.

I don't know the answer to why Cakewalk, Cubase, Logic Pro, and Studio One do not have this ability, while Ableton, FLStudio, ProTools, and Reaper do.

I don't know if this achieves the same result, but in Cakewalk you could SEND the audio track to two separate aux tracks or busses, and put an instance of PEEL on each, and invert the filtering on one of the PEEL instances.

(FYI, I couldn't get the VST3 version of PEEL to work at all, but the VST2 one did.)

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 7:21 AM, sadicus said:

zPlane response: "PEEL would need the support for insert plugins to have more output than input channels."

The peel site suggests a workaround if the DAW needs it. I insert on a track and Peel doesn’t isolate anything like it’s supposed to. I contacted them (this was about a month ago) and they said it was a known issue in CbB and would be fixed in a future update. Can you get that far with it? Is it isolating parts of the audio for you? I contacted them again yesterday because I haven’t been notified of an update. 

EDIT: Just checked the site and saw an update was released this week. I’ll try. Hopefully will fix for me. 

Edited by Billy86

1 hour ago, Billy86 said:

I insert on a track and Peel doesn’t isolate anything like it’s supposed to. I contacted them (this was about a month ago) and they said it was a known issue in CbB and would be fixed in a future update.

I tried the demo VST3 version and encountered this problem, but the demo VST2 version worked as advertised. Did you initially try VST3? That might explain it. Nice if it is fixed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I tried the demo VST3 version and encountered this problem, but the demo VST2 version worked as advertised. Did you initially try VST3? That might explain it. Nice if it is fixed.

Yes, I tried the VST3. I wonder if there’s a big performance difference in VST2 vs 3. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From zplane Support:

Hi!

Thanks for waiting for my answer. As promised, I just checked this for myself in Cakewalk and found the following things:

- There is indeed an option to duplicate a track in Cakewalk. You right-click on the track at the left side of the view. That is, don't right-click on the waveforms in the track, but right-click on the "mixer" settings. You'll then see the "Duplicate track..." option in the menu:

Then, in the dialog box that appears, be sure the put checks in the "Events" and "Link to Original Clip(s)" options as shown here:

That will then create an identical copy of the track where you can then invert PEEL on the duplicate.

- I also managed to reproduce your issue with the strange code shown in the Presets menu! This appears to be an issue with the VST2 version of PEEL, not VST3 (which is what I was checking last week). Once I tried the VST2 version, I could get the same strange characters as you showed:

I'm still not sure why this is happening, but it shouldn't affect your ability to use PEEL to separate the sounds out of your tracks...it appears to just be a cosmetic issue at the moment.

I hope the above information helps! Let me know if there are any other issues.

Best,
-Chad

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi folks, another suggestion for using PEEL in Cakewalk.

Add the PEEL plugin and adjust it to isolate the part you want to isolate: do not use the phase invert to remove the part!

Export the audio track and create an audio file of the isolated audio.

Import the audio to a new track and you can add effects to the isolated audio.

You can now do one of two things:

• leave PEEL installed on the original track, invert the phase (so remove the audio) and add a mix of wet/ dry on the isolated track
  • remove PEEL from the original track and just add wet effects to the isolated track; this will add effects to the original track but only to the sound you exported.

Hope this makes sense!