Trouble setting up MCU Pro

Fulcrum

So I just got a new MCU Pro and am having issues getting it set up. I have tried both the USB  and running thru my midi interface methods. Cakewalk sees the MCU in devices but when I add Mackie as the control surface and select my input and output ports and select apply the Mackie still shows up but it deletes both input & output ports ( both blank out) and ACT in toolbar still shows as no control surface set up. MCU is set up as Mackie and I've tried to ensure I've followed all instructions in manual to set up with Sonar. Since I have several midi devices and some are USB thru a powered hub and also 3 Keyborads thru a midi interface, could that be confusing Cakewalk? Any ideas or guidance on how I should set up would be greatly appreciated ! Since it's advertised as plug n' play I thought it would be simple (but not for me, getting very frustrated!) Basically I can't get CWBBL to retain the midi in and out ports I select when trying to add the Mackie control surface. Thanks in advance for any input... 

ACT and the MackieControl control surface are different beasts. You can't use them at the same time.

You need to make sure that the MackieControl plugin has exclusive control of the Mackie MIDI ports. ACT can't be using them at the same time.

To setup, add it as the following (obviously with your own Mackie MIDI Input/Output ports):

image.png.942ccbfedc48debac237ff05ae95802e.png

image.png.0df6240b966d263fc0c590ae2ec879f8.png

You should then see it here:

image.png.758e22cedb9760abbf3f7b34f983078e.png

Once applied, you should see it under the Utilities menu:

image.png.50ee8c9009fd9f944ed36f43a1ae5c2d.png

Also make sure these options are selected on the Mackie Control dialog:

image.png.355d7abfcf93fdb8f362caa616b78775.png

Edited by msmcleod

Maybe the USB hub is the issue.

I use the original MCU plus an XT and 2 x C4  in my main studio. The MIDI traffic is pretty high.

The MIDI ports shouldn't disappear though.

Are you certain nothing else is using those MIDI ports?

Try using the MCU without the USB hub and see if its more stable.

I do have the Mackie USB plugged directly into the computer and other stuff thru the hub, I guess I'm not certain if something else is using those ports or not. When using the USB method I was selecting the MCU USB ports. I'll keep trying just not sure why when I go through the steps you've listed that it won't save the ports I've selected when I apply. 

Do the MIDI devices disappear from the main list of MIDI devices as well? This might indicate a hardware or driver issue (bad USB cable maybe, or out of date motherboard drivers?)

You've not said what OS you're using, but have you got all the latest upgrades/service packs?

Other than that, I'd try contacting Cakewalk support: support@cakewalk.com

They do not disappear from the main midi device list, using windows 10 with fairly new computer. Downloaded CCBBL a few months ago, seems to be working fine but do you think I may have missed downloading some drivers? I may just have too many midi devices activated or something not set up correctly in MCU..

Thx for your help...

I can find any proprietary USB drivers for the MCU, so it must be designed to use the generic Windows MIDI USB driver.

The ports disappearing doesn't make sense. It's almost as if it's refusing to open the ports, but then if that was the case, surely Cakewalk wouldn't list the device?

You seem to be doing everything you should be as far as setting things up. I would give Cakewalk support a shout. Maybe they can work out what circumstances would cause the ports to be removed from the dialog, and take it from there.

When  I add Mackie it shows in ctrl surf it shows up in in parenthesis (Mackie Control - 1), I read that it might be a .dll file (Regsvr32 ACTController.dll) that didn't register properly, but I can't get it to register manually going thru run command. So it may be something in my windows 10 blocking it... 

The Mackie control dll is called MackieControl.dll and lives in c:\program files\cakewalk\shared surfaces

This DLL holds Mackie Control, Mackie Control XT and Mackie Control C4.

If this isn't registered, they wouldn't appear in the list.

One more thing to try....

The MackieControl DLL was built over 5 years ago with a much older version of Visual Studio, whereas pretty early on in CbB's development they moved over to Visual Studio 2017.

I wonder if it needs the earlier VC++ runtime installed...

The 2015 runtime is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53587

The 2013 runtime is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

It might be worth giving it a go.

[Edit] - Just to give some background to this... almost everyone I know on this forum who uses the Mackie Control has come from SONAR, which was built with VS 2015. This would have come with the VC 2015 runtime as part of its installation. So moving to CbB wouldn't have caused any issues.

It's just a theory, but it won't do any harm to install these.

I'd try the 2015 first, and if this doesn't help try the 2013.

FWIW my version of the MackieControl.dll is compiled with VS 2015. 

Edited by msmcleod

On 3/31/2019 at 6:28 PM, Fulcrum said:

When  I add Mackie it shows in ctrl surf it shows up in in parenthesis (Mackie Control - 1), I read that it might be a .dll file (Regsvr32 ACTController.dll) that didn't register properly, but I can't get it to register manually going thru run command. So it may be something in my windows 10 blocking it... 

That means it can not be loaded. Try this one: https://github.com/AZSlow3/Cakewalk-Control-Surface-SDK/raw/dyneq/Bin/x64/MackieControl.dll

Put it into the same place you see installed file.

It is build with VS2017, has some bug fixes and adjusted to support CbB. Put https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AZSlow3/Cakewalk-Control-Surface-SDK/dyneq/Surfaces/MackieControl/MackieControl.ini into the same directory for ProChannel EQ and Compressors mapping (edit it for FX plug-ins if you want, but other ProChannel modules can not be selected).

If you had Sonar 32bit installed before, it can be there is no 64bit MackieControl on your computer or it is not registered (CbB see 32bit registration, but can not work with it). Open console as Administrator (press Start button, type "cmd", right click on console and select "Run as administrator"), "cd" to the directory with DLL and run "regsvr32 MackieControl.dll"