Syncing tempo with click track

dwf2008

Question

Hi there. I started with an empty project and OPENED a midi file. As expected the midi will follow the tempo setting provided in the timing window of the toolbar. I then created a click track using the technique outlined here. 

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/1741-recording-the-metronome

This worked OK and the new metronome track syncs up well with the midi tracks. HOWEVER, if I change the tempo, the midi tracks behave properly but the Metronome track actually changes the number of measures and no longer matches the midi tracks. What gives?

8 answers to this question

If you record the the metronome then it becomes an audio file. Audio does not by default follow the project temp. You have to make it a Groove clip or enable streaching through the transient dialog on the audio clip.  

Is there a reason you recorded the metronome and don't use the use that cakewalk provides?

Thank you reginald. I guessed it was something to do with the metronome being converted to audio.  To answer your question, my end goal is to get midi tracks , audio tracks, and a click track to all sync up together and have their tempo be easily adjustable via the project tempo setting. I have read several posts and docs about how to do this but so far the trick has eluded me. If you know an easy way (groove?) to do this could you attempt to explain it to me in kindergarten terms? I would really appreciate it.  I do know how to timestretch audio by dragging the end of the selection, but that is about as far as I’ve gotten. Again, thanks.

I would suggest you read the user's guide sections on Groove Clips and the Transient panel.  Also, there is no need to record the metronome. It will play in time no mater what you set the temp to. The only reason to export the metronome is to visually see it's waveform or to export it, along with the other audio so another user could import the audio and synch it up easier.  Also, audio stretching will cause audio artifacts to appear.

image.thumb.png.48017ab1a8cbf57fd0fb23023b0951be.png

First there was no point in opening a blank project. All you need to do is  Open a midi file and it creates a project. You will have to populate the project with things like a master buss. 
Second I don’t understand why you need to create a click track?  Why don’t you just use the metronome? It will follow the tempo. 
mid for some reason you don’t like the metronome use a midi drum track. 
once you start using audio it is not easy to change the tempo

Edited by John Vere

Thanks to all of you who have responded. For everyone who doesn’t understand why I recorded the metronome, here is the answer. It was a Learning Exercise. I figured if I could do it with a simple click track, then I could also do it with a more complex recording imported via mp3. Ultimately, I want to be able to align an audio track to the measure markers on the screen and match it to midi tracks that were either there first or were added later. And the entire project follows the tempo established or changed on the toolbar. 

Sorry if I left out any critical information.

Have you tried:

1. Create a new MIDI track and drag the audio metronome track to it ( to convert the audio metronome into MIDI )
2. Select the new MIDI track
3. Process->Fit Improvisation

Fit Improvisation is a pretty old feature, but it's designed exactly for this scenario. It will create a tempo map based on the speed of the metronome.