Waves updated to 12.7

cclarry

Run Waves Central to update

WHAT’S NEW IN WAVES V12 

√ Resizable plugin GUIs 

√ New preset browser with instant text search 

√ New in 12.7: New user preset system 

√ New in 12.7: HiDPI graphics for SSL and Waves Tune Real-Time 

I have a current WUP plan and went to Waves Central, saw I have updates, and performed the update. Lots got downloaded. Re-invoked Waves Central. I no longer see any pending updates, but my products still only show 12.0.0.

Is this a bug? Anyone seeing 12.7 listed for their products?

4 minutes ago, fret_man said:

I have a current WUP plan and went to Waves Central, saw I have updates, and performed the update. Lots got downloaded. Re-invoked Waves Central. I no longer see any pending updates, but my products still only show 12.0.0.

Is this a bug? Anyone seeing 12.7 listed for their products?

Yes...it shows 12.0.0, despite having been updated

So how fast did they go from 12 to 12.7 and what did they do in between? Are they adding a point release per updated plugin? Now I see how they launch upgrades every year while they used to wait several years back in the day. And I thoroughly hate WUP. 

Just FYI, as before, upgrades inside the major version number don't require an active WUP.  So once you get V12, all the V12 version updates are included.  This was always something Waves was slightly vague on.  You don't get additions to bundles, but for example all my (now) expired Mercury WUP plugins updated to 12.7 without an issue.  That won't be true when V13 comes out of course, but the minor updates are included.  It makes the whole Wave's upgrade/WUP/support issue slightly better.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fleer said:

how fast did they go from 12 to 12.7 and what did they do in between?

Bug fixes. This time there were some features introduced with v12, even for antiques like TrueVerb. These would be the resizable UI (a big deal on the older ones like TrueVerb with tiny buttons) and the new preset browser (kinda meh to me, but still it had to be grafted onto some pretty old code). Adding new stuff like that will induce bugs.

Also, BTW, I notice that with 12.7, the Waves Local Server that broke Cakewalk's installation process no longer stays on after I quit the DAW. That could be the only reason for 12.6-12.7 and still be significant, because I'm sure people didn't like having that thing sitting there eating up the resources it did. Unlike, say, the PACE driver or BandLab Assistant, that server app did use enough memory to make a dent in older systems like my laptop.

People moan about WUP, but it's not so different from most DAW licensing: you have to pay to upgrade to each major release. If there aren't new features you want, don't fork out. Waves like to sow a bit of FUD about how the previous versions are "unsupported" (which DAW companies do as well), but in my experience, Waves stuff gets very stable by the time they move up a rev. I've yet to experience bugs with any of their plug-ins, updated or not. One of my systems still runs a license for TrueVerb v.10, solid as a rock. If I iever run into trouble, I can always WUP it up.

Edited by Starship Krupa
Spoke too soon about Waves Local Server
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1