Fucusrite as input only?

DirkWunderling

Question

I would like to use the Focusrite Solo as an input only device. The output should go from the  the SPDIF-output jacket of the computer directly into my

active digital speakers.

That simply doesnt work. I can play the midi-backing-tracks and hear them over the speakers. At the same time I see the VU-meter working for the Focusrite in the "hot" channel (means: recording works), but I cant listen to it over the speakers. Tried every possible setup but nothing worked.

Any suggestions (and thanks in advance!)?

2 answers to this question

Your active speakers should be plugged directly into the output of your interface. The sound card in your interface will be Much better than your pc audio card. Focusrite usb should be the input and output device in your daw and pc.  If the right side green light of your interface is On and your drivers are installed and your Master track is being output to your interface you should be good to go. If you set the interface as output device does the headphone jack on the solo work as it should ? 1st and 2nd gen are supposed to work with win 10 if that's what your on. May need to go to Focusrite and get new drivers .. ??

• Like 1

What  are your speakers? Studio monitors or Gaming?  If your speakers do not have any analog inputs then You should have bought an interface with SPDIF outputs. And this depends on the connectors. Pro gear uses RCA jacks that are Yellow.  Computers only have a cheapo 1/8" jack.   If your speakers ONLY have the yellow RCA jacks  You would need the Focusrite 8i6.  Interfaces with SPDIF are not very common anymore.  Otherwise under ASIO you can only use one device. Avoid using none ASIO drivers.  If your speakers are only for computer use with 1/8" mini jacks then they are not compatible with studio gear and you'll need to purchase some proper monitors. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1